Dumpster Diving

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
TFR posted The Mountaineers Ten Commandments yesterday, I enjoyed the perspective it gave. As is often the case, the follow on comments were all over the place, and the merits of peakbagging for the sake peakbagging came up.

Funny then that I found this article this morning on "Dumpster Diving"

The pinnacle (so to speak) of dumpster diving is to summit a little, forested peak in the dead of winter, usually in pouring rain, by traveling through sopping brush, across sodden ground, and over dripping fences (or sometimes under them), with your climbing partner nagging you from behind about your idiocy, reminding you over and over that you’re on private property, that the car you left at the gate will be towed if you don’t hurry, and that his nose hairs are tickling and causing him to laugh. No, he is not laughing at you and what you are doing. No, not at all…

The best part of the article is the sidebar, defining new terms such as Napoleon (small peaks with decent elly gain), Tresbagging (a combination of trespassing and peakbagging), and trashathon (wicked gnarly bushwhacks).

I guess it's all in how you look at it - keep it fun!