Eagle & Balsam - June 30, 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Met Jay at the AT parking area near High Point in NJ at 7am and we arrived at the Rider Hollow trailhead around 9am. After a quick snack of pop-tarts and donuts, Jay signed us in the register and we were off. The trail crosses a couple of real nice bridges, but it seemed some of the boards were ready to snap under my weight ……. maybe I shouldn’t have had that donut! :eek: The trail was mostly level for the first 10 minutes or so, but then all at once began the gradual to moderate ascent. Jay is a climbing machine and does not seem to slow down at all on the steeper sections. I was able to keep up (more or less), but was somewhat winded by the time we reached the trail junction at height-of-land (Pine Hill-West Branch Trail). We managed to hike the 1.75 miles gaining just over 1000 feet in only 45 minutes. Fortunately the air was dry and cool and there was a slight breeze, perfect weather for hiking.

Despite wearing the usual sock and liner combo, my heels began to blister on the traverse to Eagle, and I had to stop every so often to adjust the socks or apply a band-aid. I finally got so frustrated that I just took a couple strips of duct tape and plastered my blistered heals. This seemed to help quite a bit, but the pain of the existing blisters never relented the rest of the day. Jay let me lead the way to Eagle, which kinda kept my mind off the pain since I didn’t want to slow Jay down too much. In addition, the wildlife was a pleasant distraction …… we saw a few toads, some deer, turkey vultures, and lots of scat along the trail, including some very fresh steamy coyote scat.

The herd path to Eagle is unmistakable; it may as well be a trail. That and the fact that the summit is only about 50 yards from the P-W Trail. No canister on Eagle (3600 feet), so after a few quick photos (and obligatory re-tying of my boots), we headed back down the way we came. The trip back to the trail junction seemed much longer than the hike in, but I think that was due to the increasing pain. Jay was patiently waiting for me at the junction and having a snack. I had considered bailing on the rest of the hike due to my discomfort, but then got mad at myself and just kept saying “suck it up and keep going” …… I didn’t want to miss the great views that I had heard about from Balsam, especially on a day like this. And I didn’t want to disappoint Jay ……after all we had driven all these miles to get up to the mountains, come hell or high water I was gonna finish the hike we had planned. So I swallowed a few motrins, partly for the psychological effect, but it did seem to help.

Jay led the way to Balsam, (also 3600 feet), and I know I was hiking much slower now, but before very long I realized that I was on the summit ridge. Either the pills really did work, or this was a much easier climb than I thought, or perhaps a bit of both. Although I had not caught up to Jay yet, I could see I was either at or near summit. Even my painful feet could not contain my curiosity when I saw a herdpath heading east toward what I was hoping to be a viewpoint. Unfortunately, the herdpath petered out, and my feet then shouted up to me “stop the #*!#%! unnecessary wandering around, will ya?”
Not wanting to upset my already grumpy feet, I complied and returned to the trail. Only a minute down the trail I found Jay also wondering if a second herdpath lead anywhere. (It didn’t) Initially we were disappointed because all the views seemed to be through the trees, and we wondered if the wonderful view that mudhook had mentioned was only a winter view.

The reward was soon to come. Just another minute down the trail, Jay found the lookout with magnificent views to the north and east. Panther Mountain dominated the eastern view, while Halcott, Balsam (the other one), Sherrill, and North Dome spread out across to the northeast. Rose Mountain was visible as well, and we tried unsuccessfully to find the hammock using binoculars. We ate lunch here, took some photos, and relaxed on the soft grass atop the ledge in the early afternoon sunshine. There is nothing like the “high” of endorphins when reaching a new peak, and this summit was even sweeter after getting past my minor painful setback.

The P-W trail gradually descends Balsam with only a few moderately steep sections …… my feet were now thanking me. It seemed like no time before we arrived at the next trail junction where we then descended using the Mine Hollow trail. A few “thru-the-trees” views of Belleayre taunted me …… I had originally mentioned to Jay that if we felt good maybe we should hike the extra few miles so that I could tag a Cat100 peak. Was not to be that day. In fact, Jay had also mentioned maybe doing Hiram’s Knob which may be on the Cat200 list! :eek: :D But by the time we had reached the last trail junction, and with the parking area only 1/3 mile further, the reality was that Hiram’s Knob would have to be another day.

A great day in the woods, perfect weather, and good company. Doesn’t get much better.

Photos will be posted later today, (if my boss will just leave me alone for awhile ..... :p )

Rob

Since we were at a viewpoint overlooking Panther and points to the north and west of Balsam, I tried to look for the plane wreck on Panther, I counted drainages on hatchery hollow and looked towards where I know the wreck to be but it's so dense, couldn't see anything...

Oh, the nettles are out, bring your nettle soup recipe! The trail from rider hollow towards Eagle, the one that follows the creek is pretty overgrown in points, the one trail that goes towards belleayre is much less so. There was only one 100ft section that was a sea of nettles but it was a lot less than the wetter areas by the stream, so if you're looking for a nettleless day, take the trail towards Belleayre up. It's a bit steeper though just before it meets the PH-WB trail though than the other one.

Jay

Last edited:
HERE are some photos.

I've only had blisters one other hike in my entire life. I've had hotspots on several occasions, tho. Not sure what the problem was. Jay mentioned possibly the fact that I had left the boots in my garage rather than in the foyer closet ...... perhaps the humidity in the garage did something to the boots? When I got home, I noticed that the liners are so worn out you can almost see thru them. Time to buy new ones, ..... but I doubt the thin liners caused me the problems.

Anyway, I forgot to mention in the Trail Conditions and in the TR that the nettles were invading the trails. I barely noticed as I had worn long pants, but Jay needed to put on gators as he was getting attacked. During one particular section of trail while descending Balsam, the nettles were, as Jay said, "as far as the eye could see". :eek: I even took a picture of Jay doing the breast-stroke thru the "sea of nettles" ........... :D