Eagle Slides and Trap Dyke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Reaction score
12 and 13 September. Four of us climbed Eagle slides on Saturday then Trap Dyke on Sunday. Having climbed Eagle four times before and the Dyke twice I thought it an interesting experiment in answering the debate over which is better.
Saturdays trip up Eagle presented easy going up the Roaring Brook trail but quite tough work up the bush wack up Roaring Brook there was a lot of blowdown resulting in a lot of tedious hard work. - I remembered this as a fun part of the trip but we were glad of the end. The avalanche funnel at the bottom of Eagle was free of crud for the first time in my experience and not as dangerous as usual. The slides themselves were in perfect shape we were able to put on sticky rock boots all other of my ascents had been too wet. We roped the first 200 ft for safety - must be as hard as lower Chapel Ponds not grade 3 as in the guide. Great weather great views and no bugs.
Sunday and the Trap Dyke was similar excellent weather and the trail easy and dry. The hike was magnificent and the ascent up the Dyke easier than ever due to low water levels no rope needed at all. Got onto the slide higher up than previously and went thru a short bushwack but got too far to the left to hit the main slide. On a previous ascent we had got on too early - just after the waterfall pitch and got quite a thrill. I think we got the attack point right this time but need to traverse more to the right. Slide was easy and great views. Next time wil get on earlier forthe thril.
So the greneral vote showed a preference for Trap Dyke due to its superior aesthetics and variety. I think the vote may have been influenced by the blowdown up Roaring Brok but there it is anyway!
Oh and if you are interested now is the time to go condiyions are perfect

Those two hikes are a couple of the best approaches out there for a 46er peak. They get you off the trail, away from the crowds, and you experience something new. Which is the best-boy, I would have to vote the Trap Dike. Love the enclosure of the rock walls.

Has anyone ever descended either of these routes?? Would love to know how that went.

Well I have tried to post some photos Prino but they are too big to get on here and by the time I reduce them they make good postage stamps.
One further point from my report: Trap Dyke appears to have grown in considerably in ten years or maybe my memory has grown in.

So the concensus grows for Trap Dyke - any more votes?