Easier 46er?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi All,
The holidays have left my back crippled (too many nights on the not-so-comfy beds at the inlaws). Any how, it is slowly recovering and I'm feeling better. I was hoping to be able to do an easier hike on Sunday, however I still wanted to grab a peak for my w46. I was wondering if someone could recommend a peak? No trailless peaks, as I don't feel ready for those (esp. solo). I've already done Cascade and Porter last week, which went fairly well.

Thanks!

Fish

Phelps is probably a logical choice, but I think Wright and/or Algonquin have a better pay-out, and will likely be better packed-down.

Big Slide isnt too bad, especially if you approach from JBL. Then there is sawteeth, just dont go the scenic route or you will PAY.

-percious

Cascade and Porter are the shortest hikes in the HP.

Algonquin is slightly longer, but you might also try for Mt. Jo, or Ampersand, both of which have nice views, but are not 46ers. Someone else is sure to comment on these. I have heard that Hurricane is also nice.

Phelps is about 9 miles RT, and Algonquin/Wright are around 7.5 or 8.

-percious

Ski up the Whiteface Road! Did that trip last winter and it was fantastic. Fastest descent ever!

Street & Nye although "trailless", from the trip reports lately it should be pretty packed out.

-Shayne

spaddock said:
Street & Nye although "trailless", from the trip reports lately it should be pretty packed out.

This can be true, but Kevin (from adkforums) and I went last year, and it was difficult going, we were happy we had his GPS. Also, there is a nasty water crossing near the beginning which may/may not be crossable, check the TRs.

-percious

So what was it?

Hikingfish, just wondering what you selected as your hike, and how it went. I'm slowly introducing my girlfriend to winter hiking, so any suggestions on how yours went would be great. I got to this thread late, or I would have suggested Noonmark...not a HP, but a great view!

Splitrock821 said:
Hikingfish, just wondering what you selected as your hike, and how it went. I'm slowly introducing my girlfriend to winter hiking, so any suggestions on how yours went would be great. I got to this thread late, or I would have suggested Noonmark...not a HP, but a great view!

Hi Split, I ended up going on a smaller Quebec mountain (Sutton). Lack of sleep and such didn't allow me to do a high peak (glad I didn't push my luck either!).

Cheers!

Fish