Edmands Path/Crawford Path/Ammonoosuc Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary Hiker

Reaction score
I'm interested in hiking this loop (up Edmands and down the Ammonoosuc). It looks about an 8 mile trek (+2 if no car-spot). Other than the necessary precautions like bad weather especially for the 2 mile stretch above timberline on the Crawford Path, is there anything I should be aware of telling me this isn't a good idea? If anyone has done this recently, I'd be interested in comments and length.

Also, if this sounds like a good idea, guests are welcome - I'm thinking of doing this around the middle of next week. :)

Should be a nice loop...have not hiked the Ammo, but from what I hear from most you may prefer to ascend the Ammo and descend Edmands. Edmands is very nicely graded (some would say too nicely)...
Have a safe trip!

I'd reverse the trip as well, Ammy can be difficult to go down at times, and it's much harder on the knees. The only downside is that it's much easier to hitch from Ammy to the Edmands Path trailhead than to do the reverse, since traffic at the end of the day is usually heading out.

But I've done both and it's nice either way.

-dave-

I second (third?) Dave's and sapblatt's comment re: Ammo better going upwards. But the Crawford Path in this area is a great hike! Arghman's ratings either A or A+, IMHO. I've never done the loop in one shot but have hiked this section of Crawford Path a few times from both directions. It's enjoyable even if you don't hit any of the summits.

Warning: the flat area west of Mt Franklin is a really bad place if there's any Tstorm risk, so watch the weather closely. This general area can also be really disorienting in the fog. To this day I'm not sure if I've been to the summit of Mt Monroe once or twice (it may have been Little Monroe one of those times).

Last edited:
I've done this loop and although we didn't get great views the day we did it, it was still enjoyable. We also went up the Ammo and down Edmands. That's the easiest way really.

Man, the day we did it the wind was NASTY atop Franklin. Damn near blew us right off the cliffs a couple times. I would have been in BIG trouble without my windbreaker that hike.