Edmands Path?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary Hiker

Reaction score
I'm interested in "dog-friendly" day hikes in the Whites / Westerm ME mtns. I've heard that Edmands Path is a good choice. Any comments or other suggestions?

Warren

Hiking with dogs

My dog's mountain hiking days are over but I was always amazed at what she could do. Everytime I thought something was too nuts she handled it fine. Holly is only a 40 pounder but went up the final section of Garfield without trouble. I would just be wary of trails that are extra dangerous even for humans...I know of someone who nearly lost his dog off a waterfall on the Falling Waters Trail...
Some good ones I can think of for a dog include:

Mount Garfield Trail
19 Mile Brook and Carter Dome Trails
Edmands Path is great!!
Crawford Path to Pierce
Moosilauke Carriage Trail

Have fun...your dog will love you!

Hiking with Dogs

Thanks for the additional suggestions! When it comes to my 2 Siberian Huskies (1 & 2 yrs old) and me, I'm the one usually lagging behind.

My Top Dog 4's would be:

Hale. Easy trail with good water stops. There's just no good view!
Osceola: Decent trail with water (unreliable) near summit.
Pierce: Good footing, just not a lot of water.
Eisenhower: Good footing until the dome. Unreliable water at one tricky section near treeline.
Carter Dome/Hight Loop: Water almost all along 19 Mi. Brook and near summit of Carter Dome. Footing okay most of the way, but lots of steps up to Carter Dome, then one short step section off Hight. Water along Cater Dome trail.
Garfield: Good water stops. Only a few steep steps on ridge trail.
Wildcat D via ski slopes: Very dog friendly, but almost no water.
Liberty via Liberty Springs: Lots of rock steps. Water at campsite. A few short steep steps near summit.

For non-4's, my dogs enjoyed the hike to Flat Mtn. Pond, Greeley Ponds, anything along Livermore Road, and the Smarts Brook loop. Basically, anything involving water!