Eisenhower/Monroe Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Furry

Reaction score
On the USGS map (Mt. Washington Quad), there is an "Old Railroad Grade" that runs about 1.5 miles from the lower parking area for the Ammo Ravine Trail to Mt. Clinton Rd., pretty much where the Edmands Path trailhead is. Does anyone know if this old railroad grade is still discernable? Anyone ever used to to avoid road walking on an Eisenhower/Monroe loop?

Thanks!

Link to the USGS quad:
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat...s=50&size=l&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

Yes, I believe that grade is discernable. IIRC, it is gated at the Mt. Clinton Road end. It previously connected the Boston & Maine near Bretton Woods with the Mount Washington Cog Railway, and was abandoned in 1932.

It is also interesting to note that a branch of the Edmunds Path once came straight down to the railroad. Check out these pages from the Lost Trails Site.

An old AMC map

Another map

A 1935 USGS map

I think a telephone line once ran down the railroad, and there's a story in Floyd W. Ramsey's Shrouded Memories of a murder that took place here in 1959.

I've never walked this path, but it looks intriguing, doesn't it? I wonder if you could pick up the Edmunds Path from the railroad? (or vice-versa)

Last edited:
Thanks, Davehiker. That's good info and some nice maps too. This certainly would be more interesting than the roadwalk required for a Eisenhower/Monroe loop via Edmands Path and Ammo Ravine......hope the murderers don't return to the scene of the crime though! :eek:

Cog connection

According to one of the histories of railroading in NH. One used to be able to board a train in Portland or Boston and take a train to the summit of Mt Washington. Of course switching trains was necessary, but the rail lines went all the way.

The old RR grade is there. I skied most of it up from Bretton Woods on day a couple of winters ago. It comes of their B&M trail.