EMS thunderhead rain jacket opinions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
Anyone got an opinion on the EMS thunderhead jacket? It was normally $100, now on sale for $50 and I have a 30% off coupong to use by Wednesday which would bring it down to $35. Just wondering if it is a good jacket or not? How is the breatheability, waterproof ability, etc?

thanks,
-Pete

A woman friend of mine uses one, she loves it. She never complains about it not being breathable enough. I use a Mountain Hardwear Epic shell and kinda wished I had saved some cash and went with the Thunderhead, epecially with the sale on now (but dang! that green is UGLY :D ).

Just noticed they have other colors...Ginseng.

And the EMS Downpour which is Paclite fabric and weighs just 14.6 ozs. (1.6 more than the thunderhead) is a great price, would be about $70 with your coupon.

Last edited:
Mho

I have a previous version of the Thunderhead System III, as well as a Moonstone paclite and a North Face XCR Mountain Light Parka. My ratings and uses:

Thunderhead- waterproof, not super breathable, light, inexpensive, medium tear resistance

Paclite- waterproof , breathable, ultralite, expensive, limited tear resistance

Gore tex XCR - waterproof, breathable, heavier, expensive. good tear resistance

Mountain Light for me is too heavy and warm for the hiking trail but great for the downhill ski trail. Thunderhead is less breathable but more sturdy than paclite - will keep you dry from the outside but if you produce a lot of moisture you may be dissappointed with the inside moisture. Paclite is great for open trails, but would stay away from trailless peaks and bushwacking or you might be poked full of holes. If you tend to be a cold person the gore tex XCR may work for you with good venting.

For $35 you can't go wrong with the Thunderhead.

Last edited:
I don't have as favorable of an opinion as the woman who was mentioned. I hate mine, in fact I'm returning it as soon as I can. I tried to like it, really, but I think the breathablitity is sub par. Benefits, it's light and pretty tough. For me if I'm getting wet wearing it the purpose is defeated. I know there are folks out there that love theirs, I'm just not one of them.

I have a Thunderhead System III, one I don't have much experience with any other rain jackets to compare it with. I got mine at a similar sale. I am satisfied with it at the price I paid. I wish it were more breathable.