Ermine Brook Slide - Santanoni

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adi

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

To all Adirondack residents (especially those from the Newcomb area) or people hiking in the area within the next week, it would be very appreciated if someone could tell me if the Ermine Brook Slide has any snow left on it. I know it is west / southwest facing and would like to know how much effect the snow has had in the last couple of weeks.

I'm not looking for a garantee of snow quality, or 100% lack of snow, just an indication as to whether it looks snow covered or not. I will be in the area on the weekend of the 15th and would like to have an idea of what to expect.

Thank you greatly.

Adi

I've no direct knowledge, but........

Being southwest facing and the warm weather of late (despite last weeks snow), I would say conditions would be pretty poor on the slide. You'd be lucky in the that it's probably both been visited for awhile, but as for skiability (I assume that's what your looking for), it might be a little rough. Certainly down low in the lower reaches or it.

Lots of ice I'd bet.

Thanks Mavs,

That's what I suspect as well, I'm just hoping to be surprised.

At this time of year when the grass is turning green, it's always amazing how much snow you can find in certain areas. Unfortunately, usually on the northern or eastern facing slopes.

I stood on that slide about 700 horizontal meters from the top at the other end of this winter. That's where I turned around. Snow was just starting to hit the HP's. IIRC only a small portion of the slide below that point would be steep enough for decent skiing. It is a long, long way in to (and out from) that slide.
When I return I will stick to the North, or left as you ascend, bank of Ermine Brook from where you commence the whack and will cut diagonally across the land that seperates the brook's sides that are oriented at right angles to each other. Hard to explain in words but send me a PM and I can fill you in better if you want.

Adi said:
At this time of year when the grass is turning green, it's always amazing how much snow you can find in certain areas. Unfortunately, usually on the northern or eastern facing slopes.

Here's hoping you find what you're looking for. You certainly might be surprised though. 10 days ago (3/28) We (myself, Randomscooter, JoeCedar) b-whacked Slide/Senitinel and while it certainly appeared that "Sping had sprung" in the valleys, we still found 3+ feet of snow in the trees above 3500-3600'. Lots of ice below the snowbase though. The summit rocks on Kilburn were mostly bare and like I said, that was 10 (very warm) days ago.

There was a dump within the last week that may have dropped a good amount up high. Never know. You'll have a nice WALK though. I say walk because I'm thinking the the LOOOOONG roadwalk out to EB is probably not skiable. I hope for your sake it is.

Let us know. I'm interested in hearing about your trip.

Originally posted by Mavs00
I say walk because I'm thinking the the LOOOOONG roadwalk out to EB is probably not skiable.

I didn't expect to have any snow on the horse trail. In fact, I don't plan on bringing my skis at all because of an injury. My friends however, will bring boards if there is any chance of snow, as I normally would.

This is more of a recon trip for myself to see if it is worth the 10 or so mile approach for a ski trip next winter.

Thanks for your help