Extending Backpack Straps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkerd2

Reaction score
My backpack, the MH Trance has short straps across the front for attaching skis or crampons. I want to make the straps longer so I can attach my snowshoes and snowboard. I figured I could just attach a longer strap with the same width to the strap already in place by passing it through the sewing machine a couple of times.

Any other suggestions?

Sewing is pretty cool, but it takes me like 2 hours to get a stitch down right.
However, I've had pretty good success with using Tri-Glides.
I thread the original strap through it (in frm the bottom, up over the middle tine and back down under) and then follow through with the new strap. It makes it easy to adjust the strap to the length I need and I can always quickly remove it and have the original piece of gear back.

(Edit: Beat to the punch by Rick)

You can actually do it without any sewing, I add straps like that across the back of every one of my packs that has 2 compression straps on each side. My setup involves using a tri-glide (example: http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/Outdoor/ProductDetails.aspx?language=en-GB&product=OUT5035) threaded onto the compression strap. Then I thread a piece of 1" webbing through that same tri-glide (on top). Then I use a 1" buckle to connect the two. The only thing i use the sewing machine for is to put folds at the end of the webbing so that it can't pull through the tri-glide if it is loose. I'm not home right now but I can take some pictures later this week if anyone is interested. The materials usually run less than $5 and they give you the flexibility to carry items easily on the back of your pack.

Good call, using the tri glides is a great idea. I bought these straps, and maybe I can use the buckle that is already attached to them. I didn't even think of that. I like having the option of being able to restore everything to how it originally was.