Favorite California Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I was reading the nice California trip report that Mentioned White Mt Peak in the California White Mtns and brought back so many nice memories. Thought I'd share some of my favorite hikes in CA in case others have some thoughts about going there.

Tuoluomne Meadows- The Yosemite high country. You can backpack or stay in the campground. Long switchbacking ride up from the valley with great views at every turn. Small and large rock domes to scramble and peaks to climb everywhere. Campground and Meadows around 8,600', so good for acclimitizing.

Tioga Peak - At 11,513', a nice 5 mile round trip with a little under 1,800' gain. Good for acclimitizing. About midway up, there's a small lake to take a breather before the final 1,000' up the bare rock to 360 degree views from its open summit.

Yosemite's Sequoia Grove - a forest of ancient giants, quiet and peaceful. Early in the day or in the late evening, you'll see mule deer strolling thru this woodland cathedral.

Mt Dana - 2nd highest in Yosemite at 13,053'. You start out in the woods at just under 10,000', and break out above the trees after about 1.5 to 2 miles. Beautiful, open summit, with about the same ascent as climbing Giant.

Mono Lake - A high altitude, mountain, salt lake. Complete with seagulls and shrimp, right outside the gates of Yosemite on its eastern side. Tall salt pillars, interesting birds, this lake is endangered due to the competition for water in CA.

Bristlecone Pines - CA White Mtns. A huge grove of trees dating back as much as 4,500 years. Knarled and bent over time, this is holy land for outdoors people. The naturalists guard the location of the Alpha Tree, thought to be the oldest living tree on the planet. See some of Galen Rowell's photo essay books for pictures of the Bristlecones. While scattered aroung CA's high country, here they are concentrated. You can get a camp spot around 10,000' in the National Forest a short distance from the Schulman Grove of Bristlecones.

White Mt Peak - Also in the CA White Mtns. At 14,246, WMP is the 5th highest mountain in the lower 48 and the highest desert peak in the world. After a 28 mile, above-treeline drive to the 11,000' trailhead, you walk above the tree line all day. The ascent climbs right from the trailhead, then walk a long plateau watching the summit cone get closer and closer. If we'd had the time, you can bushwack from WMP's summit to Boundary Pk, NV's highpoint.

Sequoia National Park - A forest of 300' mammoth trees. As indescribable as the Bristlecones.

Mt Whitney - Then of course, the wonderful trek up Whitney, more eloquently described by others on the board, including Poison Ivy and Pete Hickey. This was a great way to cap our visit. With 2 weeks of acclimitizing, walking up Whitney with full packs was work, but we felt NO effects of altitude.

The Sierras offer quite an impressive selection of trekking indeed.
Me and my partner Bill did the John Muir Trail in 1980, then went back to revisit areas this past July for a 25th reunion recap.
I am blown away by the open scenery.
There is more exposed granite slabs than almost anywhere on earth!
The lush green valleys connecting towering massifs are enough to take your breath away.
Treeline goes from huge redwood giants to ...nothing, just alpine meadow, unlike the twisted stunted growth found in the east.

We also hiked down the Hetch Hetchy canyon and viewed the magnificent waterfalls.
As Bill put it, "every view is an incredible photo".

Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks are world class.

Thanks for sharing the memories,

Brownie

My favorite place in CA is known as the remotest spot in the state. I don't want to give too much away, but it can be found in the Ionian Basin off of Muir Pass along the PCT.

Hey darren,
We seem to enjoy alot of the same peaks. Funny story about White Mtn peak if I may. My first time up there, I drove up to the trailhed at night and set up my tent, ( not sure if thats legal but I didnt know) anywho, I was feeling the altitude coming straight from San Francisco and couldnt sleep well. I felt very alone way up there and was enjoying that feeling when I saw something move near my tent. As many of you know, remote places at night espechally when soloing really make the mind waunder. I kept my lookout and kept seeing movement, I start thinking, lion? wolves? bear? at this point I got out my hunting knife, turned of my stove and put on my headlamp preparing for what came next. I decided a offense was better then a defense and shot out of my tent knife in hand, I couldnt believe my eyes, there where at least 30 rabbitts running to and frough, I took stock of my stance, knife and imagination and once again felt humbled by the mountains.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice - I fly out Monday for 10 days in Yosemite, Tahoe, and Mendocino.

Tuolumne Meadows (Lembert Dome), Glacier Point, Mariposa Sequoia Grove, and Mt Dana are on the Yosemite to do list (along with the valley of course).

I'll post a link to the pics when I return.

I've only been to California once, but all the hikes/climbs we did have since become my faves. nothing I have done till now comes close...
mt. dana, mammoth mt., kearsarge pass, white mtn. peak, shasta and lassen - all were amazing

next time around, I really want to check out bishop's pass, lamarck col, sabrina and ediza lakes, mono pass, meysan lake... the list goes on!!