Fibromyalgia

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobC

Reaction score
Has anyone here dealt with conditions of Fibromyalgia, and found that hiking helps out with this? I have a friend who thinks she may be suffering from this but is reluctant to do more hiking - she said she did one small hike (Mt. Major) and was in a lot of pain from it. But I wonder if doing it regularly may actually reduce the symptoms, once the muscles got used to it.

it's a tough one to call as it is often mixed into the same symptoms as Lyme and some others like vitamin B-12 deficiency etc.
Fibromyalgia is often treated with steroids,... Lyme with antibiotics. Two different schools of thought.

After months of meds I found that if i rested and did not hike or exercise I would hurt...even if just lying in bed.
So I reasoned that since I hurt anyway I might just as well do some activities like a daily walk for example.

Sure enough as the weeks went by I hurt less and less. Now I can go out for a 5 mile walk no problem (that is up from the 600ft I could barely do a couple of years ago).

So while I don't know the answer for your friend, I find that now I take no meds but a fair amount herbal supplements and go the diet and exercise routine with good results.
In one manner of speaking I could say that the exercise made me more pain free....but more realistically I did most everything I could possibly think of, to get better.
There are so many variables I did all I could possibly do to improve my situation even if it meant disagreeing with one doctor and moving onto another and another till finally finding my way through it.

If Fibromyalgia and some of the other illnesses that are often lumped together categorically as a generic "what the heck do we do with theses people"
It's hard to say the exercise itself will lessen the pain...I think it's more of a whole all encompassing effort to fight it....it changes ones approach to life and the will to get better is extremely motivational... to not fight is a battle half lost already.

Wishing the best for your friend.

Thanks for the response. I should also mention that she has Celiac disease, which may or may not contribute to the muscle pain. Just another disease that is not very well understood...

How a person copes with the difficulties associated with fibromyalgia and celiacs is a very personal thing. When I was first diagnosed with fibromyalgia, I could hardly move. Once the acute pain subsided, I started back with some gentle exercise. Tai chi is perfect for this stage. Eventually I got back to my regular routine and now I am a stronger hiker than I've ever been. My advice to her is to take it slow. There is hope!