Finishing The Year On Middle Carter, 12/31/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
December 31, 2011: Middle Carter

Trails: Nineteen Mile Brook Trail, Imp Trail, North Carter Trail, Carter-Moriah Trail

Summits: Middle Carter

Hikers: Cumulus (Dennis), Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

Warm and wet, the roads were icy and getting treated by the DOT guys, and we were starting out for the final hike day of Sue’s vacation week and 2011. We have had a long week and needed something short. This hike was perfect. We have previously hiked South Carter and Carter Dome leaving only Middle Carter as a December target on the Carter Range. As it turned out, Cumulus also needed only Middle Carter as well. We all got together for the day.

The plan was to hike a round trip and save a little distance by using the Camp Dodge shortcut. Dennis was already at the trailhead when we arrived, along with Laura. The last time we saw Laura was the last time we hiked with Dennis – the opposite end of the year (1/1/11). Here we are at the final day of 2011 and we’re hiking together again. Maybe we should try some of the days in between.

We geared up and started our adventure. First off was a short road walk to Camp Dodge, a short distance north on Route 16. We made the turn, hiked through the camp property, and continued on the old logging road to the lower Imp Trail. That was an easy way to save a couple miles. We started up Imp Trail but soon stopped. The trail had a pretty good amount of ice. We could be very careful with foot placement and bare boot the hike, at least for a while, but decided MicroSpikes were a better approach. Dennis already had his MicroSpikes in place from the start. With that out of the way we were hiking.

The misty conditions had cleared up a little. It was still overcast but there was no precipitation. Warm and humid conditions would take over the early part of the climb. Eventually, we hiked into cooler conditions. Roughly half-way to the junction with North Carter Trail the ice had become very significant. I was thinking this might be interesting on our descent. I’m not sure about the others but my MicroSpikes were not nearly as sharp as they once were (too many rocks). We worked our way through mostly ice-covered conditions all of the way to the N. Carter junction. From there the trail conditions changed to snow covered and the footing was much better. Both Imp and N. Carter trails have sections of running water, which also means sections of bare rocks to work through – tough on MicroSpikes.

The week has been tiring and I was a little low on energy. This means a few more stops than planned and climbing a little slower than planned. I kept telling myself to find Peakbagger’s pace – it’s good. Eventually, I came close and was able to continue at a comfortable rate. As it turned out, we were hiking at book time pace. We reached Carter-Moriah Trail and made the turn to head south. From there it’s only .6 miles and ~200 feet to go to the summit.

Dennis was still out front, Sue in the middle, and I was the bucket brigade. As we approached Middle Carter there are some areas of open ledge where views can be enjoyed to the east and north. We had some nice undercast views but not much beyond that. It was a very gray day. After enjoying the limited views we continued to the summit, and flew right past. The Forest Service didn’t do anybody a “service” by removing the Middle Carter summit sign. Roughly a hundred yards past the summit we made a u-turn and returned to the summit for the usual pictures.

After the photos were finished Dennis pulled out a cookie tin that I had been thinking about ever since leaving the trailhead. Dennis enjoys baking and makes some of the best cookies you’ll find on any trail. His butterscotch cookies are really worth the trip. Dennis also had ginger snaps to share. What a terrific treat and a much needed shot of energy. Thanks Dennis. You’re coming back again soon, right?

It was time for our exit hike. We packed up and headed out the way we hiked in. All of the way back down to the North Carter – Imp trails junction I was thinking about the ice and how my MicroSpikes would perform on the descent. We reached the junction and I was about to find out.

At first I was very tentative and carefully made my way down the trail. Gradually, I became more comfortable and confident. Eventually, we were cruising. The hike back to Camp Dodge went well. Roughly ¾ of the way back to the old logging road we stopped to retire the MicroSpikes. There was too much bare trail loaded with rocks and they were just getting beat up. Soon we were making the turn to Camp Dodge, and then the turn on Route 16 to the trailhead lot.

We quickly re-packed our things into the truck and took off for PNVC; Laura was on her way to meet us there. We beat her by a few minutes – very few. The timing worked out very well.

We all said our goodbyes and set off for our New Years Eve activities. Sue and I had a long ride home (Sue’s longer than mine by an hour), and Laura and Dennis were headed to a gathering of friends in Twin Mountain. The early finish should at least get our trip behind us before the crazies hit the highway.

Thanks Dennis – it was really good to hike with you again, and thanks for the treats.

Thanks Sue for sharing another vacation with me. Here comes January – are you ready for more vacation?

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

:)

Last edited:
What a full week you had! Congrats. That should put a huge dent in your December list. :cool:

What a full week you had! Congrats. That should put a huge dent in your December list. :cool:

Oh yeah! Good week - good month!

Normally, Sue and I get out only one day each week. December is a tough month for a number of reasons (holidays, etc). In the past, getting out at all before Christmas has been nearly impossible.

This year, Sue decided she wanted to take a good bite out of our December list. She juggled her schedule for a lot of things that are more important than hiking and came up with some free days. We started December with 24 on our list. We finished with 4 that will be done in two hikes.

As George Bush would say - Mission Accomplished.

:rolleyes:

I remember coming down that section of Imp one time when I think there was more than an acre of ice as far as we could see in any direction. We tried skating from tree to tree for awhile but finally used full crampons.

I remember coming down that section of Imp one time when I think there was more than an acre of ice as far as we could see in any direction. We tried skating from tree to tree for awhile but finally used full crampons.

Roy,

I think the warm conditions helped us out quite a bit. The MicroSpikes were able to get a bite in the soft ice. If the temperature was lower we may have been tested a little bit. As it was, we were able to just walk and the MicroSpikes did the job for us.

It was kind of a warm, humid winter hike.

I've heard a rumor that real winter is headed this way. I'm hoping!

;)

What's In the Can?

Earl, just viewed your photos and was wondering what type of cookies were there in the can. Some look like molassas cookies I made a couple of weeks ago.

Mike

Earl, just viewed your photos and was wondering what type of cookies were there in the can. Some look like molassas cookies I made a couple of weeks ago.

Mike
They were mentioned in the report.

Cumulus made the cookies. They are butterscotch and ginger snaps.

Really good!

:)