Finishing What We Started - Owl's Head, 7/9/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
July 9, 2011: Owl’s Head

Trails: Wilderness Trail, Black Pond Trail, Lincoln Brook Trail, Owl’s Head Path, Black Pond Bushwhack, Franconia Brook Trail

Summits: Owl’s Head

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

On our previous hike we lost time on the climb of Flume Slide and the bushwhack from Franconia Ridge Trail to Lincoln Brook Trail. Reaching Lincoln Brook Trail from Franconia Ridge Trail very late, we bailed on the remainder of the hike, which was the Owl’s Head portion. We decided this week was a good time to clean up that particular loose end. We had generally terrific conditions for the hike. When we started the sky was overcast and there was a fair amount of fog but conditions were predicted to clear over the next couple hours. Our first move was to go back in to the location where we bailed, roughly seven miles from the trailhead.

Our warm-up was Wilderness Trail and Black Pond Trail. Both are clear and mostly dry. The small amount of mud that we found, mainly on Black Pond Trail was easy to get past. We arrived at Black Pond under broken clouds, partly sunny sky, and a light breeze. We decided to take a quick break before starting our bushwhack to Lincoln Brook Trail. We went to the side of the pond and tried to locate any waterfowl that might be there (we had observed a pair of ducks there on our last visit). Sue heard ducks a couple times but we never saw any. Perhaps they were on a nest nearby. We noticed quite a few small fish (2 – 3 inches). While watching them the first of several leeches swam through. These guys seemed big – roughly six inches long while swimming. Soon we noticed a number of salamanders in the area. We enjoyed quite a show at the edge of Black Pond. The leeches seemed to suggest nobody swims there more than once.

Show over, we needed to get moving. At the end of Black Pond Trail (actually, where the mud pits start) we started up the slope to move above the mud. After a short climb we set off on a 335 degrees (magnetic) heading which should take us to the “big curve” on Lincoln Brook Trail. Sue was out in front, without a compass. We stopped to discuss the target bearing and using the sun to help in navigation. Sue stayed out front and I continued to monitor our course. Sue did an outstanding job of getting us from Black Pond to Lincoln Brook Trail and nailed the target location on Lincoln Brook Trail. That was fun.

While hiking the bushwhack we were swarmed by flies. They weren’t biting but their numbers and the fact they were swarming around our heads made them very annoying. Once we hit Lincoln Brook Trail the flies were gone – good news! Unfortunately, their replacements were mosquitoes – bad news! We got moving and generally kept moving all of the way to the place where we left off the prior week. There, we stopped. I had a boulder in my boot that had to go. While we were there another couple came through, Jim and Jackie (I hope the spelling is correct). We visited for a while and then set off for the base of the slide.

From the upper crossing on Lincoln Brook to the entrance to the herd path leading to the slide there is usually a fair amount of water and mud but right now it’s not too bad. We had a brief break on Lincoln Brook Trail and started up. The approach to the slide is a short one. Before long we were starting up a wet, rocky section that led to a more open area and loose footing conditions. Once we reached the open section we stopped to check out the views. Franconia Ridge was completely hidden in clouds – they were supposed to be gone by now. Oh well. We continued our climb stopping as needed and occasionally getting some pictures of our progress. Along the way we met Jim Towles (sp?). We have met Jim on a number of our recent hikes. Maybe we’re all chasing the same list. After a brief visit we were on our way. We reached the top of the slide and stopped for a break and to enjoy the views. Soon, we headed into the conifers above the slide and continued our steep climb to the ridge that leads to the summit. As we were making our way up this final steep section, Jim and Jackie came through.

The ridge leading to the summit is littered with blowdowns. Some have been trimmed a little, some can be passed underneath, and others have herd paths developing to pass around. There is no marked trail but the several herd paths headed across the ridge all seem to generally head to the same place. We stayed with our usual route, visited the traditional (old) summit and continued to the “new” summit. We arrived there with Jim and Jackie just ahead. After visiting for a while we made the u-turn and started our nine-mile exit hike.

For the past few times we visited Owl’s Head, we have exited via the route known as the Brutus Bushwhack. We haven’t descended the Owl’s Head Slide for roughly a year. It was time for a change. Instead of bushwhacking back to Lincoln Brook Trail from above the slide, we simply descended the slide. A short distance below the top of the slide we were treated to nice open conditions on Franconia Ridge and a light breeze. We found a couple comfortable rocks and had a seat, had a snack, and enjoyed the day. After a while it was time to get moving, we still had a pretty good return distance to Lincoln Woods. Both of us managed to loose our footing on the descent of the slide but there was no damage from any of it. We reached Lincoln Brook Trail, made the turn, and headed for the exit.

Our next stop was at the lower crossing of Lincoln Brook Trail. There we decided to hike the trails instead of bushwhacking to Franconia Falls. The water was no longer running high and there was no show to see at the falls. We stayed with the trails all of the way out. Before taking off, I filtered some water and made a quart of Gatorade. I offered Sue a candy bar to enjoy while I was working on the water but she declined and had some GU gel instead.

Both crossings were easy and ended with four dry feet. The mud pits on the remainder of Lincoln Brook Trail and Franconia Brook Trail were all small and easy to get past. We landed on Wilderness Trail and started the final 3+ miles on the old railroad grade. At the end of a long day, Wilderness Trail is a test. It’s really bad after dark but at least it was still daylight and we had the scenery to enjoy on this final slog.

I didn’t know it but Sue was still processing a question I asked earlier. Eventually it got the better of her. Sue asked, “Is your offer still good?” I said “probably” even though I didn’t immediately know which offer she might be asking about. Then, the lights came on. Sue had been thinking about the candy bar ever since we left the crossing of Lincoln Brook. We stopped, I pulled out the candy bar, Sue smiled, and we were again on our way to Lincoln Woods. That brightened up the final three miles. Soon, we passed the end of Osseo Trail and had only 1.5 to go – the home stretch. Before long we were on the Lincoln Woods suspension bridge and headed for the truck.

Owl’s Head is only 16 – 18 miles depending on shortcuts and involves just a little over 3000 feet in elevation but it can sure leave you tired at the end of the day. I was really happy to see the truck; I knew there were comfortable seats and cold drinks inside waiting for us.

We took some time to change into our traveling clothes and were soon on the highway south. Getting Owl’s Head for July took an extra day, but we had an extra day – no harm done.

Thanks Sue – now for some rest.

Pictures will follow.

:)

Last edited: