First Hike in the Whites - Request for Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewHampshire said:
But I absolutely LOVE the cliffs. I could hike up there and spend ALL DAY there without even needing to go on up to the actual summit!

Good point, I'm with you there, the cliff lookout is awesome forget the summit!! The views of the Franconia Range are great and there's lots of interesting glacial striations in the rock. I spent hours there last summer, took a nap too! :D

First Hike

Eric and I completed our hike on Sunday 8/6 under gorgeous sunny skies. With the advise of LovetoHike, we reversed our original hike route for our Northern Presi's loop, instead going for Jefferson first via the Great Gulf Trail from Rt 16 and up the spectacular Six Husbands Trail to the summit (five hours to Jeff summit). From there over to Adams and Madison, down Osgood and back to the parking (2h40m from Madison summit to parking with the knees aching). Total hike time was 11 1/2 hours with one hour of total down time on the summits and at the Madison Hut for a lemonade break. A great first hike on a New Hampshire "Chamber of Tourism" type of day!

I am hoping for another hike or two this week in the Whites. This was truly spectacular and we are already hooked. I am thinking Franconia Ridge and another Presi loop.

Man oh man, did you ever luck up on the weather! When I looked over at Washington (from Starr King) Sunday there was not a cloud in sight - a very rare sight indeed! If you do the Presis again be sure to climb the Ammo Ravine trail. Not only is it a gorgeous trail, but you pop out at Lakes Hut so you can check the weather before heading on up top. Up Ammo & down Jewel is a great way to bag Mt. Washington.