First Trip to the Adirondacks- found right spot to post-sorry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
:confused:
Sorry I posted in the wrong spot- new here-still learning

Heres my pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/572456877eqdsAk?vhost=community

Monday May 25th was the day to do it. I was in south eastern Pennsylvania for Friday through Sunday so I decided to head up to the Catskills and slip into the woods for an overnight and continue my drive up to the Adirondacks on Monday morning. Some plan, only thing is I did not have any maps of the Catskills area. I drove the 3.5 hours up there and then wandered around aimlessly for 1 1/2 hours looking for a trailhead to hike in on. Now, it's getting dark and I've found nothing. Then out of the dark appears a friendly KOA sign. Yes, they had a tent site for 38 bucks. Ouch! Well since it was 9:00pm I decided to take it.

Next morning I woke up at 6:00am and left the campground by 7:00am. I got up to the welcome center for the Adirondacks around 10:00am or so and decided to go in and see if they had any info for important stuff like: where can I get some gas cause I'm almost on empty and where's the nearest Dunkin Donuts and do you have a map of the park so I can more easily locate the trailhead. Guess what, no one to talk to and no answers. On my way out I met this guy named Mark and told him not to bother to get any info in there. He looked like a hiker so I asked him my questions. He couldn't answer them either but he did know where he was going which was Cascade Mountain. Well, I had planned on doing Giant Mtn and the Ridge nearby but this Cascade Mountain was sounding rather appealing since it was only 2.4 miles up instead of 3.7 which I decided would work out better with my late start. I told him that maybe I would see him on the trail.

I found the gas station, skipped on the coffee since the first one I had was still working, picked up a sandwich and hit the trailhead around 11:15am. The trail started by going downhill. Now I don't know about you but down is not a good way to get up! Ok I'll go with it. I soon came to a sign in station, which I stopped for. Next, I headed over a small bridge over a brook and began a fairly gentle ascent through some nice open forest. The sun was out it was warm but not hot and I was very excited about the day ahead. I headed over a little stream and around .4 miles came to a small cascading brook. Up till now the trail footing had been pretty nice.

I soon looked up to discover the real work was to begin. The trail continued at a steep to moderate pitch up to the top of the ridge at 1.2 miles. It was very rocky and steep so I needed to slow down a bit and take a breather now and again. You know, to look at the beautiful flowers and ah take photos. Several other groups of people kept passing each other as we all in turn stopped to gasp for air and give our aching muscles a little break. Toward the upper half of this pitch is where I caught up to Mark. He was taking a little breather. You see he had decided after not having hiked for over a year that he would see how it would feel to carry a 26 pound pack, so that he could gage what it would take on future camping trips he had planned for this summer. We continued on together as the trail now began to alternate between several moderate climbs to flatter sections as we crested the ridge at 1.8 miles onto a beautiful ledge. The views were awesome from here. Although I don't yet know the names of all these mountains, I still can appreciate their grandeur. Many had awesome slides and ledges. We stopped here for a quick bite and a drink. Then who should call but Dave Bear. "Are you on a mountain," he asked? Of course I am I answered. I shared with him what I was up to and he shared what he had hiked the past 2 days. He's been busy too!.

Well it was time to move on. The trail grade relaxed as the forest began to change to hemlocks and small sections of ledge began to appear as the grade began to increase again. At 2.1 miles we reached the junction with the trail to Porter Mountain which would later be my second summit for the day. We continued on and soon reached the ledges below the summit. Wow, awesome . I couldn't wait to get to the top at 2.4 miles, but at the same time wanted to savor every moment and view all I could. It was a bit windy so after the usual summit photos and viewing, Mark and I decided to find a less windy spot to have lunch. I had my sandwich and celebritory Dark chocolate. No Kalua nip though cause Dave Bear was not there to bring it.

I soon said my goodbyes to Mark, who I suggested check out Rocks and Views on line and headed down to the trail intersection so I could make good on my promise to myself to get( 2) 46er's done this weekend. I soon found myself descending about 100 feet to head back up another 270 feet. There were a couple viewpoints along the way and a really large boulder that the trail skirted around. Before I knew it 3/4 of a mile had flown by and I was on the unmarked but obvious summit of Porter Mountain. There were some real nice views here too and I could see across to Cascade Mountain. I waved to Mark but I know he could not see me as I could barely distinquish people when looking over his way.

It was getting later in the day and I still had the 2.8 miles to hike out so I set out on my way. I did not appreciate the 100 feet of gain back up to the trail junction but soon found myself heading down through the steep section at a rather slow pace. My feet were beginning to ache. I took a short rest while talking with a couple of woman in there late 40's early 50's which really helped. I started out again on happier feet and soon found myself back down at the car. I had an awesome time and can't wait to get my feet back out on another Addy mountain. Two down and 44 to go. I know these were easier than some will be but I think they were a great place to start with the time I had. I got out at 4:25pm and had a 4.5 hour drive ahead of me and 6.2 miles and 2250' gain behind me . I was a happy hiker

Status
Not open for further replies.