Fish Creek Area 4/8/11 (Adirondacks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
Spent an afternoon exploring in the vicinity of Fish Creek yesterday afternoon. I'd been back here a couple of times before, but have never really hiked extensively and explored the area.

I started at the snowmobile trail west of Middle Pond. The trail was in great shape for snowshoeing. The snow was packed down nicely by snowmobile traffic from the winter, and I was able to move quickly along it.

Stopped at Floodwood Pond for a bit to take some pictures. I'd camped out once at the campsite near the outlet (start of Fish Creek) while I was a student at Paul Smith's. Here, I encountered snowshoe tracks that came from the direction of Fish Creek Campground. I can also remember paddling through this area as a kid (more than 10 years ago now!). On that day, there was a trail crew in working to build a new bridge over Fish Creek... probably the same bridge that is still there today. Fish Creek itself was free of ice, and I startled a flock of ducks when I approached the bridge.

I had originally planned to follow the trail on the south side of Fish Creek all the way to the campground, but quickly changed my mind. In contrast to the excellent conditions courtesy of the snowmobiles on the north side of the creek, this trail had received no snowmobile traffic, and my snowshoes were sinking in to the wet snow considerably. I opted to save that trail for a future hike during warmer months when there is no snow on the ground.

Little Square Pond also has some open water near where Fish Creek flows into it. There are some nice campsites here on the eastern shore, although one had some garbage scattered about. I picked up what I could to carry out.

The snowshoe tracks lead all the way to the campground. The going was pretty easy and flat along the creek. There were a few sections in need of some side-cutting, but nothing major. A few times I caught site of flagging in the woods to the east, presumably marking herd paths that connect this snowmobile trail with the one just through the woods near Follensby Clear Pond.

Fish Creek Campgrooundhad an eerie feeling to it... it was like all the empty campsites were waiting for the campers to come back. It looks like the DEC has tried to do some revegetation on some of the sites... only time will tell how successful it is, I guess.

It wasn't too difficult to find the snowmobile trail back, but following it wasn't the easiest task. In contrast to the trail to the west, the eastern trail has been neglected and has become overgrown and poorly marked. I would guess that the justification for letting the condition of this trail degrade is it's proximity to the western trail, especially along the southern portion of both trails (it does seem silly to have two snowmobile trails running side by side, only a few hundred feet apart!).

At first, I was able to easily find my way by following an old set of ski tracks and the occaisional snowshoe print. I quickly passed Echo Pond and Follensby Clear Pond. Follensby Clear Pond has at least one campsite near the trail, but you wouldn't know if you never left the trail- there's no sign.

In contrast to what is shown on maps, the trail doesn't actually cut off the peninsula on Horseshoe Pond, but rather meanders a pretty fair distance out onto the peninsula before circling back. I did take the time to bushwhack out to the tip of the pensinula. There is a very nice designated campsite near the tip. The tip itself has great views of the pond and would be a perfect spot to bask in the sun or go swimming on a nice summer day, but it is posted against camping.

Beyond Horseshoe Pond, the ski tracks disappeared for good. I was on my own, and finding the trail was a bit difficult in spots, until I eventually picked up an old set of snowshoe tracks near Pollywog Pond.

The crossing of the outlet of Little Pollywog Pond was a bit tricky, thanks to the beavers, but not impossible. An old snowmobile bridge lies party submerged, and planks form the bridge have been ripped up to make a precarious crossing beside it.

The rest of the hike went pretty quickly. I did get some nice views of the afternoon sun back at Middle Pond. The walk along the road back to the other trailhead where I'd started went quickly and easily.

There were a few spots devoid of snow, but for the most part it was at least a foot thick. I wore snowshoes all day, and they were definitely needed, even though this was a lower elevation hike.

It's getting harder and harder to find new places to explore near Saranac Lake. I think I'm going to have to start bushwhacking more and more! :)

Pictures Here