Florida paddling suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Looking to balance a desire to go no further south in Florida than necessary in February to paddle with an interest in warm water and weather and interesting routes and locations. I'd like to stick around the barrier islands of northern Florida and Georgia but expect our quest for more tropical conditions will lead us to places like the Everglades, Keys and Sanibel Island. Camping possibilities also inviting.

Any suggestions anywhere in Florida and possibly Georgia ... we'd like options depending on actual conditions this winter?

I loved camping in Flamingo and doing day trips from there. There are overnight/camping options too.
Flamingo was a lot less built-up than I'd expected, due to the devastating hurricanes five years ago. You drive 40 miles through Everglades NP and there you are, the road ends in Flamingo.
The hotel is closed, the restaurant is closed. The marina and little store are open. It's no longer a destination for people who want comfortable beds and good meals - in other words, it's better than ever.

There is lots of info on line about paddling trips from Flamingo.
Highly recommeded: A Paddler's Guide to Everglades National Park by Johnny Malloy.
Also: Guide to Sea Kayaking in Southern Florida by Nigel Foster.

The owner of the Peconic Paddler here on Long Island has experience paddling in the keys I believe. I spoke to him once about it. He would paddle from beach to beach, island to island and meet his lady friend as she sunbathed each day.

His name is Jim. I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing some first hand experience with you. The number for the Peconic Paddler is 631-727-9895.

Just ask my friend Tony Manero (aka ColdFeet) about Jim. Jim recently donated a paddle (right David?) at the latest Long Island Paddlers meeting...nice.