Cannon/Cannon Ball Loop Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'm considering a loop involving Cannon and the Cannon Balls in the next weekend or two and I had some questions about the trails, particularly how it relates to late autumn conditions (i.e. ice). The Fishin' Jimmy Trail and Cascade Brook Trail are the only trails I've taken in that area (only did Cannon once from ski area and KRT and usually do Kinsmans from Kinsman Trail) are the only ones I have taken (hate the big Summer crowds in this area, the mayhem that is Lafayette Place, etc).

1) Any suggestions on "best" way to enjoy the loop considering the short days? Was considering parking at Cannon ski area and walking Pemi trail in dark down to Lafayette and doing Lonesome Lake sunrise, climbing straight up KRT from Cannon to catch sunrise on that outlook at edge of Notch or maybe starting at Lafayette and ending day on Pemi Trail (possibly in dark) to the Cannon. I hike alone so there won't be a car spot. The Pemi Trail will be a necessary connecting hike to the car from wherever I start.

2) AMC Guide makes the Pemi Trail sound potentially confusing to follow from Cannon to Lafayette. Indicates many side paths, some confusing wetland areas around the lake and numerous possibly tricky river crossings. Is it really that bad, especially following in the dark for the first time? May affect when I hike that section. Looking at the map I think I'd probably just take the bike path for the majority of the 2 miles between Cannon and Lafayette for speed, simplicity and to avoid river crossings. So that would just leave the stretch around Profile Lake to negotiate. And if I end there in dark I can always just take the bike path all the way to parking lot and backtrack to my car.

3) Was going to use the Hi-Cannon Trail if I start at Lafayette to ascend but AMC Guide references some potentially dangerous ledges if it is icy (which likely it would be) and I recall many people referencing "the ladders" as kind of scary. Is this a trail best avoided at this time of year? Sounds far more interesting than going all the way up Lonesome Lake trail but I don't want to take a spill either. (The only time I ever climbed Cannon I took a nice spill on snow covered ice and dislocated my shoulder).

4) Are there actual views from the Cannon Balls? If it is just a ridge walk I'd probably go up Fishin' Jimmy and end at Cannon with the views as opposed to descending here later in day. It looks like the PUD is equally unpleasant in either direction. I recall some steep spots in Fishin' Jimmy Trail with blocks pegged to ledge which I suppose if this was icy could be an issue too.

Any suggestions for the loop would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMHO, unless you are redlining the stretch from Kinsman Pond to the Cannon Ball on the NE 100 list its a series of PUDs (pointless ups and downs). Far easier to go up Hi Cannon Trail a short distance up Lonesome Lake trail from Lafayette Place(before significant snow) head over to the tower with a diversion on the tourist trail to the east side of the summit then looping back up to the summit and then back to the Hi Cannon junction and down to Coppermine Col then the short out and back to the Cannon Ball and then down the Lonesome Lake trail. Note these trails can get icy early and hold the snow so plan on crampons along with microspikes.

No views I remember along the Cannonballs except for the NE 100 summit.

IMHO, unless you are redlining the stretch from Kinsman Pond to the Cannon Ball on the NE 100 list its a series of PUDs (pointless ups and downs). Far easier to go up Hi Cannon Trail a short distance up Lonesome Lake trail from Lafayette Place(before significant snow) head over to the tower with a diversion on the tourist trail to the east side of the summit then looping back up to the summit and then back to the Hi Cannon junction and down to Coppermine Col then the short out and back to the Cannon Ball and then down the Lonesome Lake trail. Note these trails can get icy early and hold the snow so plan on crampons along with microspikes.

No views I remember along the Cannonballs except for the NE 100 summit.

Yes the hike is combination of redlining and Winter prep (I've been doing hikes in crappy weather with very heavy pack to get ready for season). I try to use this time of year to mess around with my gear, layers, foods I eat, etc and get into a Winter frame of mind. I did an actual "prep phase" this Spring getting ready for Katahdin and it really helped improve my conditioning for the Summer so I'm trying to duplicate that effect for the Winter season. Normally my Winter season involves burning off the laziness of holiday eating and drooling in front of football on weekends so I'm generally disappointed with my efforts in Winter (from a fitness point of view). The mental torture of the PUD in the Cannonballs seems like a good fit.

I go up there alot, so I will share my thoughts, you can sift what you want from them. I typically do the loop via KRT down to Coppermine Col, then down to Lonesome lake and out. I never venture to the Cannon balls ( years ago, I traversed them, once was enough). I also do the above loop reversed, either way, I like it a lot. The Hi-cannon trail is very nice, but it does have a rung ladder and my dog refuses to do a rung ladder, so I avoid that trail. The ladder is easy for humans, but the exit ledge is narrow and if it's ice covered as I have seen it, it can be dicey, but I wouldn't avoid it, if I didn't have a dog. I know of a dog that fell off it down the gully that is below it, the fall is not good. As far as the Pemi trail, it's ok. On a nice summer day I might take it, but I prefer the bike path myself and typically use that. In darkness, the Pemi trail can be hard to follow this time of year. Once my hike is done, I just prefer an easy out via a paved bikepath, frankly it's just as nice and easier after a hike. The KRT is icey most of the time as there are many seep springs that roll over it. The route down the back from the tower is steep and bouldery, it goes quick but in a few spots watch your footing this time of year. If you have time, take the trail on the west side of the lake to visit the hut, if your going out that way, you can fill up on water for the walk out.

I think technically the bike path is closed after dark. Your chances of being cited are probably pretty slim. My route was: park at Lafayette, bike path around to tramway (was early enough in the morning there wasn't any sled traffic, and the Pemi wasn't broken out), up KRT, down KRT backside, out Lonesome Lake. This was mid-March. The south side of Cannon is pretty steep regardless of route; there was a reasonable snowpack (up to the base of signs) and so we glissaded down, rather dangerously--I slid off the trail and got a lovely bruise.

I think technically the bike path is closed after dark. Your chances of being cited are probably pretty slim. My route was: park at Lafayette, bike path around to tramway (was early enough in the morning there wasn't any sled traffic, and the Pemi wasn't broken out), up KRT, down KRT backside, out Lonesome Lake. This was mid-March. The south side of Cannon is pretty steep regardless of route; there was a reasonable snowpack (up to the base of signs) and so we glissaded down, rather dangerously--I slid off the trail and got a lovely bruise.

Closed after dark? Dogs are also not allowed as well, if you can believe that. I'll add the after dark rule to my " Rules to ignore" list.

The Hi-cannon trail is very nice, but it does have a rung ladder and my dog refuses to do a rung ladder, so I avoid that trail. The ladder is easy for humans, but the exit ledge is narrow and if it's ice covered as I have seen it, it can be dicey, but I wouldn't avoid it,

So with traction it sounds like it would be OK (I'll have IceTrekkers, Microspikes and crampons with me). Is it a similar set up to the tricky ledge after the ladders on Six Husbands Trail? With the warm up midweek hopefully ice will not be a factor, or be minimal.

Between the NE Cannonball and Cannon is steep, in both directions. And any route up or down Cannon is likewise steep. I did the Kinsmans via FJ and then KRT to Cannon and back on the Bike Path (and for a very short stretch where they overlap, the Pemi Trail) - with my dog (who also wouldn't appreciate the ladder on Hi Cannon.) I did leash him on the bike path, but for reasons which should be obvious, he's quite familiar with bicycles :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/396640989

Tim

So with traction it sounds like it would be OK (I'll have IceTrekkers, Microspikes and crampons with me). Is it a similar set up to the tricky ledge after the ladders on Six Husbands Trail? With the warm up midweek hopefully ice will not be a factor, or be minimal.

I haven't done 6 Husbands in 25 yrs. so I can't compare by memory. It's not bad, you will be fine. I climbed it with spikes last year and the rungs were ice covered, still no problem. I just had to turn around though because after climbing it, I down climbed it, and deemed it unsafe for my dog.

It has been a long time, but IIRC, a portion of the KRT between Coppermine Col and Canon is steep and rocky (as in rocks big enough for both hands and feet). If icy, it could be hard on the metal traction gear but you wouldn't want to go without.

Another option is to wait until the rocks are covered with deep snow. It then requires kicking steps (in snowshoes), pulling on trees, and hooking trees with one's ice axe. :) (Or at least it did when I did it even more years ago.) IIRC, we came down Hi-Cannon...

The NE sides of the Cannon Balls also have some very steep spots (steep with small rocks) although I only recall one big steep rock face (~8 ft high?). Not sure I'd want to do this section with ice and/or snow.

Fishin Jimmy is a walk in the park compared to the above sections of the KRT.

A number of years ago, I did the loop from Lafayette Place (FJ, KRT, HC trails) in summer conditions and found it to be a long-enough day. I don't think I'd attempt the full loop in winter-ish or winter conditions.

Doug

Okay you are in for self abuse, so Hi Cannon Up, then out and back to Cannon summit along ridge then down to Coppermine Col and a then a few hours of cursing over to the junction with Fishing Jimmy and then down Lonesome lake trail. Just don't say we didn't warn you about the PUDS. Both Hi Cannon and KRT from the Hi Cannon junction to Coppermine Col seem to accumulate and hold deep snow. I believe that the snowmaking at Cannon seems to increase the snow fall farther down the ridge. Both can take hours to break out in the winter. If some one is lucky there is crust and they may be able to kick step up but my experience over the years is it usually weak crust and deep powder underneath. There is lot to be said to go on Sunday and let others do the breaking.

That is indeed a pretty rickety looking ladder. Probably should avoid this trail during this part of year with the potential for glaze ice all over everything, especially with the large backpack I've been carrying for Winter prep. Thanks.