Foliage Update/ Eisenhower & Monroe 10/2/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
I did a quick out and back of Monroe and Eisenhower via Edmands and Crawford yesterday morning and figured I’d give folks a quick foliage update. Hopefully the forecast improves for the weekend! Franconia Notch is near peak foliage, deep oranges and many reds. Crawford Notch area is even further along, and has to be at peak in my opinion. So many reds! Edmands Path has mostly yellows in the first half before becoming all evergreens, but I suspect that has to do with tree species, mainly beech and birch. Wouldn’t call it a foliage hike, since you can’t see much detail from 5000 feet, but it sure was a nice Presi day yesterday, and I had the whole trek to Monroe to myself! I could see the valleys of the Dry River and Pemi had good color. North country was a sea of red, as was the area around Mount Washington Hotel. Trails were wet of course with some running water, but aside from a few small exposed bedrock sections higher up, Edmands Path has good footing after wet weather.

Full photo set here plus some extra foliage shots.

IMG_7747.JPG

Field, Avalon, and Tom

IMG_7733.JPG

First time I ever stopped at the Mt. Cleveland scenic area, rt 3

Shots from Edmands Path:

IMG_7864.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7868.JPG

Even Alpine plants turn more red:

IMG_7817.JPG

IMG_7810.JPG