Foot Discomfort While Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big Earl,

I think I'm going to re-suggest seeing a good sports related podiatrist for the big toe pain problem.

As I understand it, there are 3 common problems here.
1) Bunion at the big toes
2) Other joint related problems at the big toe joint
3) Nerve damage or neuromas.

http://www.podiatrynetwork.com/r_neuroma.cfm

I get (the same?) big toe pain in my right foot. I get it in two situations. First, if I xc ski in my lighter xc boots I will get it. I don't get it when using my stiffer plastic tele boots. Second, I get when I wear my heavy leather hiking boots and then walk on pavement.

Now, I have flat feet, have very, very highly ramped custom orthodics and have been treated for morton's neuroma in my right foot (pain between 3rd adn 4th toes). The orthodics have stopped this pain for me for day to day street shoe wear. Unfortunately, the orthodics are so highly ramped that they cause blisters on my arches and cause deep pain inside the foot when I hike with them for long distances. This is a case where (for me) the cure can be as bad as the problem.

I have found that trails are typically more cusioned that pavement and that I do better with slightly modified Superfeet for hiking and xc skiing. I don't get the deep arch pain and arch blisters this way. But, I do get this big toe pain from time to time.

My current way of managing this is to use sturdy 1/2 shank boots with plenty of toe room and try to avoid walking on pavement or dirt roads in these boots as much as possible.

I too need to see my podiatrists again at some point and will seek his advice on this pain.

Short version.... there is a lot of different things going on in the foot. Good podiatrists can really help (bad ones can't). This may be a situation you need to manage around and for which there is no perfect fix.