forum or article on lost winter hikers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adk-46r

Reaction score
I have been searching for two articles that appeared in forums and newspapers with no success. The first one happened on or about 01/14/96 when two hikers got lost in a white out on Algonquin. and I can't remember the date of the second one ; but it was about a hiker found on Haystack or panther gorge by a group of hikers in the winter. The hiker had hypothermia, was disoriented, and dehydrated. also lost his snowshoes. This occurred probably less than ten years ago. If someone can guide me to these articles I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Interesting post ... particulary the one on Algonquin. I used to keep very detailed records of my hikes and I was on Algonquin on January 11, 1996. I was also living up in the area at the time and don't recall an incident of this type on the peak so close to my own first winter summit of Algonquin. For what it's worth, there was a January thaw at the time and on that particular day, the summit was a sheet of ice ... a foggy skating rink. You certainly have me curious.

With regard to the Haystack incident, I believe that incident was reported by Carl Howard, 4258W. If my memory serves me correctly, Carl Howard’s account was published in Peeks. I think the incident occurred and the article published in 2005 (+/- 1 year).

Last edited:
Right you are Willie. I just have to find that issue of peeks I have stashed away someplace. Thanks

Interesting post ... particulary the one on Algonquin. I used to keep very detailed records of my hikes and I was on Algonquin on January 11, 1996. I was also living up in the area at the time and don't recall an incident of this type on the peak so close to my own first winter summit of Algonquin. For what it's worth, there was a January thaw at the time and on that particular day, the summit was a sheet of ice ... a foggy skating rink. You certainly have me curious.

This was on Sunday, you climbed on the previous Thursday by the date you gave. I climbed Cascade and Porter on the 14th and the wind was brutal. I estimated 60mph on the summit of cascade. I had to crawl on my hands and knees to the summit. That day a father and his son got caught in a whiteout late in the day on Algonquin and spent the night below the tree line. The rangers found them in the morning and got them out.

Thanks, adk-46R. I'm glad it all turned out well for those involved. A Thursday would make sense ... definitely was a weekday; don't think I saw anyone all day.

Sounds like you're working on something interesting. Good luck.

Haystack

Carl Howard, #4258, Rescue Atop Haystack, Adirondack Peeks, Fall 2003, Vol. XL No. 1 at p. 5.

The incident took place on January 19, 2003.

Last edited:
Carl Howard, #4258, Rescue Atop Haystack, Adirondack Peeks, Fall 2003, Vol. XL No. 1 at p. 5.

The incident took place on January 19, 2003.

Bill, could you please give me the names of the hikers this incident happened to? I am trying to look in the Newspaper Archives for this article and having a tough time but if I had names to put in search engine, something just may come up. Thanks in Advance.

Bill, could you please give me the names of the hikers this incident happened to? I am trying to look in the Newspaper Archives for this article and having a tough time but if I had names to put in search engine, something just may come up. Thanks in Advance.

The rescuers: Carl Howard, Charlie Tipper, Chris West, and Bos Dewey.
The rescuee: John Yip.

I'll e-mail the article to you (sorry about the quality of the photographs).

The rescuers: Carl Howard, Charlie Tipper, Chris West, and Bos Dewey.
The rescuee: John Yip.

I'll e-mail the article to you (sorry about the quality of the photographs).

Thank You Bill, I receive the article through email, perfectly. Pictures are fine, it was just the story I was interested in.