Fourth Connecticut Lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
It's not really a lake; more like a pond.

This hike was a bit more challenging that I thought it would be. At the very beginning there is a bit of an incline and a little bit of rock scrambling is involved. This made for a lot of fun for my young son. What really makes this hike though is that you criss-cross over the US-Canada border. It's pretty cool to stand over the boundary marker and have one foot in each country. There are also some wonderful views into Quebec since you are at a surprisingly good elevation.

We hung out at the "lake" for a while hoping to see some wildlife but no luck. This hike doesn’t take long but is well worth doing.

Last edited:
When I did this hike about 6 years ago, I termed it more like a SWAMP! LOL Hardly a Lake! Maybe it has graduated in that time from swamp to pond and eventually make it to real lake status!

I enjoyed this hike a couple weeks back (July 23rd) as the appetizer for a hike of the Cohos. I agree that even with the heavy rains it is more of a pond - and that without them it could have been called a bog or a swamp. Still, it has a special feel to it. It's kind of nice to be traipsing along the border one foot in Canada and the next in the US and then come upon the source of the Connecticut river.