Franconia Loop clockwise 12/29/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a brief report on the always popular and always beautiful Franconia ridge loop. As someone who is relatively new to winter hiking, this was my first trip across the ridge in winter. My two previous attempts, coincidentally also on cold windy cloudless days, ended at the agonies (no crampons) and at the hut (too cold). This time I was more prepared and had the good luck to meet Hillwalker for the first time on the way up OBP. He paced me across the ridge and assured me that Falling Waters wouldn’t be too rough going down. Thanks for the company and the coaching!

As for the details, I used stabilicers up to the Lafayette summit and then switched to crampons for the rest. A fair number of hikers were bare-booting, but I certainly found the crampons useful on parts of Falling Waters. In addition some of the gusts on the ridge were pretty strong so it felt good to be “stuck”. As others have noted in recent reports, snowshoes would have be a hindrance.

One incident that I hope has had a happy ending. On the way up OBP a chocolate Labrador retriever was ascending with Hillwalker and I and some others ahead of us. At one of the overlooks above the agonies, we realized that this friendly dog did not belong to any of us on the trail. Luckily a gentleman who came up behind us volunteered (without a second thought) to take the dog back down to the parking lot where he remembered that people were looking for a dog that fit his description. That was really neat thing to do – I hope the dog was reunited with his owners!

Anyway, a great way to celebrate the eve of the eve of New Year’s Eve (or in fact any day).

Brutally fun hiking!

Yes, what a great day. Enjoyed hiking with you chip. Days like that make one appreciate being alive and healthy.

TomW