Franconia Ridge Traverse (25 April 2014)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Trails: Old Bridle Path, Greenleaf Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Liberty Springs Trail, bushwhack, bike path

Summits: Lafayette, North Lincoln, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, Flume

Conditions: trails at lower elevations were a mix of snow/ice covered trail and bare ground. Ice was prevalent. The Old Bridle Path had a tough ice section heading up one of the 'agonies' for which crampons would have been nice and there was a slick stretch above Greenleaf Hut. The FRT was mostly bare above treeline with patchy snow and ice. There was consistent snow in the col between Little Haystack and Liberty and the col between Liberty and Flume. Post holing was only an issue off trail and although there were some picture worthy examples of monorails in places, mostly, it was flat and not well defined.

Equipment: I carried snowshoes and they stayed on the pack. I'm putting them away this weekend. Microspikes came on above the hut for about 50 vertical feet and then they stayed off until I was coming back from Flume and on the way out the LST. I barebooted 80-90% of the day. Sunglasses were key and sunscreen would have been a good idea. I hiked in a long sleeve base layer all day including above treeline.

Comments: without question the best conditions I've had on Franconia. An absolutely perfect day with indigo skies, bright sun, very little wind, 100 mile views into Maine and Vermont. Parked at the Basin and used the bike path and LST bike path bushwhack to complete the circuit. I took about 100 pictures and will post a trip report later. Nice meeting quite a few people taking advantage of a nice Friday.

Last edited: