Franconia Ridge Traverse, Lafayette to Flume, 11/10/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
November 10, 2012: Franconia Ridge Traverse – Lafayette to Flume

Trails: Franconia Notch Recreation Trail, Old Bridle Path, Greenleaf Trail, Franconia Ridge Trail, Liberty Spring Trail

Summits: Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty, Flume

Hikers: Trail Trotter (Sue) and me

After a close check on the forecast for the day, Sue and I decided to hike our Plan B from last week. The approach would be to hike from The Basin lot to the OBP/FWT Trailhead and then head to Lafayette. From there we planned to hike Franconia Ridge Trail south to the other targets. In other words, we planned to loop Franconia Ridge clockwise from The Basin.

We started out on the Franconia Notch Recreation Trail headed north and were being hit with a pretty good amount of wind from the north. From past experience we knew Franconia Notch was like a big funnel when it came to wind and once we got away from the trailhead we would probably find calmer conditions. From The Basin to the OBP/FWT Trailhead is roughly 1.7 miles. We reached the trailhead and generally just kept moving. Soon we were at the Old Bridle Path/Falling Waters trails split and hiking in relatively calm conditions. We went left on OBP and headed for Agony Ridge. Not far from the trails split we made a quick stop and Sue decided it was an ideal time for a snowman.

The snow cover increased as we climbed and soon we were hiking on a completely covered, very icy trail but able to bare boot the hike. Maybe we could have moved faster with MicroSpikes but there were enough exposed rocks or barely covered rocks to beat up a pair of MicroSpikes and we only had good ones with us. If conditions got worse we would pull them out but for now we were careful and bare booted the hike. Eventually we made our way to the lower part of Agony Ridge and the icy slabs. The footing wasn’t great but it was good enough and we managed to climb to the first of several viewpoints to enjoy limited views toward the ridge and south along the ridge. All of the upper few hundred feet of Franconia Ridge were completely clouded in. Here we were also being hit with the strong northwest wind that was in the forecast. Most of the hike to the Greenleaf Hut is very sheltered and the wind was generally a non-issue.

Still bare booting we kept climbing. From a lower viewpoint the ridge ahead and its first steep “bump” is visible and I was pretty sure we would pull out the MicroSpikes before going much further into the climb. Soon, we were standing at the top of this first steep pitch, enjoying the views and then heading for more. The footing never seemed to deteriorate and we were able to bare boot our way to the Greenleaf Hut. There, we stopped for a couple minutes and I pulled out another layer. We had only a short distance to go before being above the treeline and in full exposure to the wind and cold. We left the hut and made our way through the remaining shelter. Another group of three passed us and were standing at the first cairn above the treeline pulling out additional layers and goggles. The conditions weren’t terrible but they were somewhat difficult. Sue and I also stopped and pulled out our face masks. It turned out that face masks and hoods were all the added protection we would need to be comfortable.

We worked our way along the trail from cairn to cairn and as we gained elevation the conditions slowly cleared. Once we finally reached the summit of Lafayette there were scattered clouds blowing through but we had occasional views to enjoy. We were on the summit for only long enough to get the usual summit pictures and some view shots. Based on wind direction I knew heading south on Franconia Ridge Trail would be a very pleasant experience. We set off for our remaining targets.

On the hike south we started to meet others headed north. There were quite a few others hiking the ridge. We made it to Lincoln, stopped for the usual summit pictures and kept heading south. Roughly mid-way between Lincoln and Little Haystack we met a familiar face; it was mtnpa headed north. We stopped for a brief visit but couldn’t hang around for long since we still had some distance to cover. A short distance south of Little Haystack we met another familiar face; it was Dan McKee also headed north. After Dan and his partner we met a fairly steady stream of others headed north; multiple groups that totaled twelve to fifteen and two dogs.

By mid-afternoon we reached the Liberty Spring Trail junction and knew our next target was a short distance ahead. From Little Haystack to Liberty Spring Trail junction there were a number of blow-downs across the trail. None were difficult to get past (over or around). We completed the final steep climb to Liberty. There we were able to enjoy some terrific 360 degree views. After more pictures we were off for our final target; Mount Flume.

The first section leaving Liberty is the only part of the hike to Flume that was a little difficult. The snow-covered slabs near the top were a concern but we managed to get past without added traction. From there, it’s just a hike. We descended to the col and started right in to the climb of Flume. Gradually we made our way to the summit of Flume. As always, the late-afternoon views from Flume were outstanding. What a great place to be with the sun low in the western sky.

It was time for a u-turn to re-climb Liberty and head for the truck. By now I’m getting pretty low on energy but still had enough to complete our exit hike. We worked our way back to the summit of Liberty, made it over the slabs near the summit without any problems, and got a few sunset pictures. To prepare for our hike back to The Basin we pulled out our headlights; we didn’t need them yet but would before we made it back to the waiting truck. Actually, we didn’t get very far past Liberty Spring Tentsite before turning them on. From there to the start was a very pleasant night hike. The stream crossings were not an issue and just below the Flume Slide junction we went off-trail for the shortcut route to The Basin after a short walk again on Franconia Notch Recreation Trail.

This hike trimmed four more peaks from our November list. In terms of distance and elevation this was our big hike for the month. Everything gets easier from here.

Thanks Sue, we’re getting closer.

Pictures will follow.

:cool:

Last edited:
Very nice, Earl. Beautiful photos! I especially like the shot up the ridge from Flume! Looks a bit different from our late September hike of that ridge.

Very nice, Earl. Beautiful photos! I especially like the shot up the ridge from Flume! Looks a bit different from our late September hike of that ridge.
Thanks Steve,

I have posted another shot of the full ridge. It's a panoramic from Flume. I had to post it separately. There is some sort of limitation, or problem, with the Facebook application that prevents me from adding this panoramic to the album and then placing where I want it.

Photo.

I'm still trying to decide on a suitable photo sharing site (for many reasons, Facebook is really terrible).

:rolleyes:

Great report and pics. I always love to read of you guys and your adventures. How many miles was this loop and what was the total elevation gain?

I am curious what the temps and wind speed were too- at the start and at mid day if you happen to remember? Also, what were you guys wearing on your lower half and did you ever put on the micro-spikes? Thanks Sunshine Chris

Great report and pics. I always love to read of you guys and your adventures. How many miles was this loop and what was the total elevation gain?

I am curious what the temps and wind speed were too- at the start and at mid day if you happen to remember? Also, what were you guys wearing on your lower half and did you ever put on the micro-spikes? Thanks Sunshine Chris
Thanks Chris,

The hike specs were 16 miles and 5750 feet, which includes the initial walk to the OBP/FWT trailhead from the northbound Basin lot.

I believe the starting temperature was in the mid 20’s. We were getting hit with a pretty good amount of wind, more due to the terrain of Franconia Notch than anything else, I assume. We expected temps in the mid to upper 20’s and wind in the low 40’s mph when we reached the summit of Lafayette. At the treeline we pulled out our face masks and already had an extra layer in place. I believe the predicted conditions were generally in-line with reality.

As we descended the ridge and worked our way to Little Haystack the temperature went up a little and the wind dropped a lot. We got rid of the face masks and de-layered.

Expecting a high amount of wind and cool temperature for the first half of the hike I think we both had a light base layer (I know I did. :rolleyes:). Also, because of information we received concerning snow in the area we decided on winter boots, which I think was a decision we were both happy with.

As far as MicroSpikes are concerned, we bare booted the complete hike. There was a concern while climbing Agony Ridge but we managed to make the summit of Lafayette without a problem. The hike from there to Flume was also problem-free regarding traction. Descending Liberty Spring Trail was easy.

;)

That last is a gorgeous photo, Earl. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks.

:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Earl. I just wanted to know what to expect given that scenario. I have gotten Lafayette and Flume done already for winter, just have Liberty and Flume but my son needs the whole ridge for his NH 48. We will either wait till summer for the whole ridge or do it in 2 halves more than likely (based on our current abilities). I did do the whole range in 2009 with Dave Bear and his daughter Kim and that started from the Old Bridle Path and we went out on the Osseo Trail to Lincoln woods. It was 14.5 miles in 11.5 hours. Of course that was in early July, not winter conditions. Still I was pleased to accomplish my first full ridgeline hike. I have only done the Presi's in 2 halves backpacking (separate trips). The Carter Range was also backpacking. See you out there again soon I hope.