Franconia Ridge Traverse - Sunday 2/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Franconia Ridge Traverse - Old Bridle Path to Flume and out Liberty Springs - 13.4, 5450, 9:25

Bailout option #1 (enroute bailout): Lincoln, Lafayette - Old Bridle Path - Falling Waters - 8.9, 3900, 6:25

Bailout option #2 (premptive bailout if we arrive and conditions are bad): Liberty, Flume - Liberty Springs, Franconia Ridge Trail, out-and-back - 10.2, 4250, 7:15

With 8-12" of new snow, expect to take at least book time, and maybe 20% more, depending on how many people show up.

I would expect that the Falling Waters Trailhead will be on the short list for plowing (but bring shovels). Not so sure how quickly they get to Whitehouse / Flume Gorge.

Opinions? Questions? Interest?

05:15am Stickney Ave / Concord Park-n-ride
06:30am Whitehose / Flume Gorge
06:45am Falling Waters
07:00am Boots-on-trail
05:00pm Done

This trip is considered advanced - for winter hikers with experience. It involves considerable time above treeline. Full winter gear is required (Snowshoes and crampons at least.) We will follow the Hike Safe guidelines.

Forecast looks good, but it is not yet within the T-36 window of accuracy and we have a Nor'easter to get through first. Final go/no-go decision will be posted here by 6PM Saturday.

RSVPs preferred due to car spots and uncertainty with snow / conditions. Please reply here or by PM or by e-mail.

Tim

Last edited:
Sound great. I am planning to join you. Can I go straight to Lafayette Place or would you prefer that I stop at Whitehose/Flume Gorge first? Thanks for organizing this and I look forward to hiking with you.

-Jonathan

We've got a car load planning a Lafayette / Lincoln loop* although our "on trail time" will be an hour behind yours.......thanks in advance for your trail breaking efforts.

I would expect that the Falling Waters Trailhead will be on the short list for plowing (but bring shovels).
Tim

Thanks for this tip too.....

* this is all dependent on our first digging out at home Saturday am....

Of course right now I don't know if I can even get out of my front door, never mind to Franconia Notch. My hiking tomorrow is contingent on how well the clean up goes this afternoon.

Of course right now I don't know if I can even get out of my front door, never mind to Franconia Notch. My hiking tomorrow is contingent on how well the clean up goes this afternoon.

If there was ever a good time to be snowed in with a kidney stone this is the weekend. I was pretty dejected that I wouldn't be able to join you guys on the Franconia ascent but it looks like mother nature may put the kabash on the outing anwyay.

As of now my road is a single lane and I had a four foot drift behind my door. I think I will chug water, pass this stone, and watch TV until Monday. Things could always be worse, right? :)

Optimistic as always,

Z

Zach, I'm sorry to hear that you are ill. I hope you are back on the trails soon.
On a brighter note though, three hours later, my driveway is totally clear. So long as the roads are clear by early tomorrow I will be there.
Are others coming? Keep me posted...
-Jonathan

Bob and Geri report:

Parking Lot Status - 3:30 PM Sat

Flume parking lot plowed very well:
Liberty Springs - one pass last night? Drifted in:
Basin lots plowed:
Lafayette - both sides of highway one pass last night? Drifted in:
Old Man viewing - plowed
Skook - one pass last night? Drifted in:
Beaver Brook - one pass last night? Drifted in - high snow bank at road both entrances.
Garfield end of Gale River Loop not plowed high snow
End of Trudeau road parking area is NOT plowed.

Roads north of Lincoln mostly snow covered.

Tim

Forecast:

NOAA Point forecast for 4215' near South Twin: Sunny, with a high near 19. Wind chill values as low as -36. Windy, with a northwest wind 27 to 32 mph decreasing to 20 to 25 mph in the afternoon.

NOAA Recreational Forecast for 4000'+ ..SUNDAY...PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS AROUND 20. NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND
55 MPH DECREASING TO AROUND 35 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 41 BELOW.

Mount Washington Observatory

In the clear under mostly sunny skies.
Wind chills 15-25 below.
Highs: Lower 10s°F
Wind: NW 40-55 mph decreasing to 25-40 mph w/ higher gusts early

Tim

There are no condition reports on VFTT or NETC - only one was Glencliff from Michael Blair (FB). The report was for knee deep to thigh deep (drifts). Seems like several lots have been plowed at least once.

Here is the Plan Of Record (POR, as we say):

Meet at Whitehouse as scheduled above (6:30AM) - EVERYONE - and we can review the latest weather data, and discuss plans. If the weather is not great, we'll go with Liberty and Flume. If anyone is coming from the north, please check out the Lafayette Campground and/or Falling Waters lots so we have current data. The wind is supposed to die down during the day, but it is out of the NW which means going Liberty-Flume-Liberty-Lincoln-Lafayette we are walking into it. PM me with your cell phone # if you want, and I'll reply with mine - just in case.

I should be up before 4AM and will put a note here around 4 - 4:15 either way.

Tim

I read a trail condition report for Liberty and Flume from The Basin, so at least one person was there yesterday and parking was fine.

Let's go with the plan-of-record above and decide together at the trailhead. Both of the other two groups I know of that planned to go up Lafayette have bailed - one is still snowed in in the Boston area and the other overdid it shoveling. The Mount Washington Forecast will not be available until 4:30-5:00...

Tim