"GA-ME on" 4 state high-points and an AT start

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Just got home from a whirlwind road trip and thought I'd share a little trip report!

Day 1
Left work early on the 19th to drive to Buffalo to pick up Topofgothics (who is now officially homeless) so I could shuttle him down to Georgia to start out on the AT. Part of the deal was that we'd take a little bit of a round-about route so I could snag a few more highpoints. So we leave Buffalo around 3:30 to head for Campbell Hill (1549'), the Ohio highpoint. It was well after dark when we got there (and we rushed cuz the gate closes at 10:00!!). It's a tiny little walk up a tiny little hill to a nice sign and flagpole. The wind was howling and it felt like we were standing on top of 4k! Needless to say, we weren't exactly geared up for a winter hike so we scurried off the hill quickly. Back in the car for a couple more hours to Hoosier Hill (1257'). Hoosier is on private property but well away from any homes, so we very quietly walked up the dirt road to touch the HP. The owners have placed a mailbox there that holds a register, nice touch! Then back on the road to see how close we could come to Mississippi before we passed out. Spent about an hour sleeping in the back of the car until FREEZING temperature woke me and I started driving just so I could feel the heat of the car!

Day 2
It was a long and tedious drive to Woodall Mountain (806') but once there I dozed in the sun while Topofgothics continued to refine what he needed in his pack for his AT journey. We then drove to Cheaha (at 2407' it's Alabama's HP) just in time for a very nice sunset. Cheaha park was very nice and there's a great tower on the top. We both talked about how it would be nice to spend a couple of days there exploring. But Springer Mountain was beckoning, so we continued on.

Day 3
Saturday morning we arranged for a shuttle with a very interesting man named Wes (who had his 15 minutes of fame when Bryson used him as a shuttle service and included him in his book!) who told us lots of funny stories about both failed and successful AT bids. I left my car at Neels Gap and we shuttled up to forest service road. Walked up to Springer where there were about 25 other people (mostly two big groups of scouts) who were all out for the weekend or short sections. We did meet a few other thru-hikers who were just starting. By the time we were on top, it was already about 3:00, so it was a definite late start! Made it as far as Long Creek Falls where we camped. It is a very beautiful spot and the constant noise of the falls lulled us (well at least me, TOG had to put in earplugs!) to sleep.

Day 4
A nice early start (10:30) the next morning and we pretty quickly met Robo. He has LOTS of AT miles logged in and is doing another thru-hike this year. He was working on getting his pack legs but told us some good stories of his previous adventures before we pulled out in front of him. It was a beautiful sunny day and we thoroughly enjoyed the trail and each other. That night we camped at Justus Creek, managed a pretty good "trail shower" and did some star-gazing.

Day 5
Managed to get on the trail by 10:00 that morning and spent another absolutely gorgeous day on the trail. Met a very nice couple (Albacor and Rosalind) who are locals but take an active interest in thru-hikers. Stopped for a "pre-dinner" at Woody Gap and met Truckin (yes, another Dead Head!) who thru-hiked last year and is on the trail for two months this year, and Z who was looking for his dog. Camped that night just above Dan Gap and woke to a fabulous sunrise.

Day 6
Our last day together on the trail was a little bitter-sweet as it was a stellar day with some very nice views, but we also knew we were getting close to my coming off the trail. We climbed Blood Mountain in near record time (Topofgothics had stopped at the bottom to filter water and I hustled so I would be at the top waiting before he caught up to me) and had lunch atop a 4000 footer. Then the walk down into Neels Gap where we got showers and did laundry and I felt like a hiker for a little longer.

Now, for anyone who has read any of my posts in the last several months, you know I've been nursing a foot injury. Well let me tell you, shlepping a full pack did not constitute "nursing." Topofgothics was amazing at helping me keep my spirits up and trying to divert me from the pain but I felt quite guilty at slowing him down so much. But in many ways, that was a good thing. It allowed us to spend a little longer together on the trail.

We slept in the back of the car again, and then it started raining. I left Topofgothics Wednesday morning at Neels Gap in that rain with the weather predicting 4 days of it! Even so, he left a message that he managed 18 miles!

For anyone who is interested, here's his link to his trail journal... http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8606

Nice TR! Your trip report sure brings back memories. Nice job of tagging the HPs on the way. TOG will do fine on the AT since he is a hiker already and doesn't need a shakedown. Best of luck to him as he makes his way north!

So you got Alabama and Ohio's highpoints.. what were the other two states?

Sounds like a fun trip! I hiked Blood Mountain a few times when I lived in GA. I got there via 'Slaughter Gap'. Love the names. heh heh.