Gaiters again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Z

Reaction score
Just used my new gaiters yesterday, and at the end of the day, found that the only place I was wet was UNDER my gaiters, I presume from perspiration that couldn't escape. They were helpful in some of the muddy spots on the trail where water was still running. I wonder if the tradeoff was worth it? Being a relaitively mild day, this wasn't a problem, but if it was cold...?

I'd aprreciate your thoughtd.

I learn SO much from this board. Thanks.

Keith

Personally, I rarely wear gaiters in winter. My boots are high enough and the pants cover the boot. If the snow is deep enough I have on my snow shoes so there is usually no need for the gaiter, and like you I find them too hot. I do carry them though as they are benefit if you need to wade across a stream or for the ride down.

I went through the ice on a stream crossing with my plastic boots earlier this week. Without my gaiters the water would have easily flooded my boot. As it turned out, my socks were still dry. If I wasn't sold on gaiters before, I am now.

I'm assuming you have knee-high gaiters with a lower section made of coated nylon and an upper section made of uncoated nylon or some sort of waterproof-breathable material.

It's a given that moisture will condense on the coated nylon. There is not much you can do to prevent that ... short of blocking the evaporation of all moisture from your feet by wearing vapour-barrier socks.

Mountain Hardwear produces a gaiter with a zippered flap that lets you ventilate (Ventigaiter). Me, I just pull them down when I need more ventilation. They'll look clumsy, like knee-high socks bunched around your ankles, and you'll have to be extra careful if you're wearing crampons. However, the gaiters still serve to seal the top of your boot and can be hauled up quickly when conditions demand it.

Gaiters and shorts sound (and look) like an odd combination but are ideal for warm Spring days. The weather may be too warm for long pants but the trails are still covered with deep, wet snow. The shorts give you maximum ventilation and the gaiters keep the wet snow out of your boots.

I just used Gore Tex Gaiters (OR Crocodiles) for the first time today and had no frost or moisture inside as I would typically have with my nylon gaiters! Big Improvement.

I've been wearing OR Crocodiles for several years and they're not waterproof but have helped keep my feet dry during brief immersions and I've never had moisture building up on the inside. As much as helping to keep my feet dry, they also keep the bottoms of my trousers dry and relatively free of mud keeping my legs drier and more comfortable ... and you know, for those times you want to wear the same pants to dinner that you wore on the hike.

Short Gaiters

EMS, and i am sure other manufacturers make short gailters - ankle height. I first got them for snowshoe racing in trail sneakers where snow would often get into the sneaker. However, in the winter, where i am almost always wearing some kind of snowpant - either Precips or my Patagonia Integral pants, and the snow is usually cold enough that it doesn't melt on me, but rather just brushes off, i have found that i use the shortys more than my full OR gaiters. They are more comfortable, and i don't get any sweat building up or freezing. They are not waterproof, but rarely does snow melt on them, and they are water resistant enough for the rare times i step in water in the winter.

If i am hiking in the mud season(not very often), i will go with the full gaiter. Definitely worth the trade of.

OR Crocs OR Crocs OR Crocs

They should be a part of everyone's winter arsenal Even if you are not postholing in deep stuff, but are wearing snowshoes on a packed trail, some of that stuff always flips up onto your legs (regardless of how high your Sorels or other winter boots are) and trickles into your boots. If you are the type to pull your pant over your boot, it saves the bottom of your pants from ice balss and other frozen crap.

Crocs also keep my bootlaces from freezing up and becoming an icy tangle - And if I mis-step wearing crampons (it has happened) I'd rather tear a hole in my gators than into GTX pants or any other pants.

Yes, there are times in bitter cold that I will find a layer of frost on the inside of the gator when I take it off, but it is a small price to pay for just a bit more protection for my legs and feet.

In warm weather, I do notice wetter socks and feet (wool socks do tend to siphon your sweat down into the boot) But in the muddy dacks, at the end of the day, I like having the top half of my boot clean when I undo my laces...

If you hike the Adirondack way, which is straight through the mud instead of tiptoeing around and making a wider mess, you'll not mind the sweaty ankles as much.

And if you are like me and wear shorts when the weather is over 45d, then they are a must in the snow!!!!! ;)

Cheers Everyone!!!! 60 degrees and loving it today in SE PA!!!!!

I almost never wore gaiters in the winter until last winter and I would never get on the trail without them now, they are amazing at keeping snow, water, rocks, etc out of my boots. I don't sweat an unusal amount so I haven't had any major problems. Maybe it is the particular kind you have?

sli74

I guess it's personal preference...I always use them, except in hot weather. When bushwhacking, they're to me, a must. It makes stream crossings a lot easier, (a -10 below foot dunking sold me on them a few years back), and if spending the day afield in the wet weather, you'll be dry for sure.

As far as heat build up..yes they do get a little warm at times, I'll just pull them down to vent.... just like with any clothing system managing heat is key.

If snowshoeing off trail, I usually wear a fleece pants combo, I get too hot while moving for shell pants (unless of course on a summit). Gaiters are the way to go.

OR Crocs.

OR Crocs!

OR CROCS, DAMMIT!!!

I finally wore out the first pair after several years of SAR work (i.e., bushwhacking in all seasons after other people who went bushwhacking unintentionally.) The second pair is now doing what the first pair did all that time:

1. Kept the moisture out (including more than a few unplanned dunkings in knee-deep water.)
2. Allowed the moisture that was generated within to pass into the atmosphere.
3. Kept the heat in, by doing the first two above while also closing off convection.
4. Kept the mud off.
5. Kept the thorns out.
6. Kept the blood inside on those rare occasions when the thorns did penetrate, so that I could ignore it until I felt lightheaded.

Accept no substitute. They're not expensive -- they're priceless. (If you're an accountant: The amortization period is measured in half-decades.) Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Gor-Tex!!

If you can spend the extra money, GOR-TEX !! , is the way to go!
Save those pennies till you can get a pair, youll never be sorry!!
steveo

Funny how the preferances go. For winter use, I prefer non-waterproof, non-GoreTex gaitors as they breath better. So long as the lower section by the boot is waterproof, they provide enough protection for me without the moisture build up that the original poster complained of.

I can see the arguement for GoreTex gaitors in late fall or spring when the snow can be deep and wet-wet-wet. But I can't report I've ever said, "Gee, I wish my gaitors were GoreTex" despite numerous knee high dunkings in brooks.

By all means, the totally waterproof, non-breathable gaitors are a waste, imo.

Hey Nadine, I was hoping for an avitar with lobstrr style red plaid attire!

By luck OR Crocks ended up in my inventory. It became a no brainer to hang out in shorts, deep into the winter. I find the top stiff enough, that it can be left open for cooling and ventalition. A short version exists! Wow, some thing for the wish list, thoe my day pack seems to have become 'the weak link'. Thanks Chris