Gaiters for New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll carry my gaiters but rarely use them. I normally just pull the bottom cuff of my base layer and pants over the top of the boot. When I'm wearing my double plastics this works really well. If I knew I'd be whackin' or breaking deep snow all day, I might put on the gaiters.

$12.99 knee-high nylon gaiters Ocean State Job Lot

Just back from first hike in these. Upper part nylon, lower part ripstop polyester. Top drawstring at center rear, less likely to catch on shrubbery. Boot strap of neoprene attaches by friction buckle on each side of gaiter: very easy to adjust or replace strap. Elastic gathers behind ankle and around heel of boot, which makes them snug enough down there. 2" wide overlapping velcro strip closes gaiter at front, with backup snap at top and bottom. Lace hook at bottom secured by two rivets. Someone has learned what works before they wrote the specs.

Not insulated or totally waterproof (you can add that), but for a lightweight nylon gaiter that will keep the snow out and stay cool in summer, I think this one is too good to not check out. Creag nan drochaid

My user name is "Craig of the bridges" in Gaelic. In 32 years as a volunteer trailworker I have kinda specialized in footbridges up to 30' long. The volunteer trail crew I started in 1985 is the Cardigan Highlanders. Their badge is a tricorn bandanna in the Cardigan tartan. Their crew malt (whisky) is always from west of Dalwhinnie, and they drink it with the Gaelic toast to good health Slainte mhath. Aside from these customs they are a pretty typical small New Hampshire volunteer trail crew.

My user name is "Craig of the bridges" in Gaelic. In 32 years as a volunteer trailworker I have kinda specialized in footbridges up to 30' long. The volunteer trail crew I started in 1985 is the Cardigan Highlanders. Their badge is a tricorn bandanna in the Cardigan tartan. Their crew malt (whisky) is always from west of Dalwhinnie, and they drink it with the Gaelic toast to good health Slainte mhath. Aside from these customs they are a pretty typical small New Hampshire volunteer trail crew.

Thanks. I'm of Gaelic heritage also, but can't speak Gaelic (or Irish, as they call it in Ireland).

I now use a Black Diamond short gaitor, the size most use in summer or for three season's. My boots are high and I love not using a full length gaitor.

Creag, thanks for the heads up... stopped at Job Lot and grabbed a pair, a good replacement for the 30 year old LL Bean gaiters I use for XC skiing (and Dalwhinnie is my favorite whisky, from the highest altitude distillery in Scotland!). I have a pair of OR shorties I use when hiking.

I have a pair of shredded and patched OR Croc's that are still functional. I went to the OR Expedition Croc's and am very happy since they are much tougher and not as prone to tearing with crampons. I also have some of the OR lows for summer, but prefer my old TNF GTX ones. I used to have some LL Bean ones but they have been loaned out and not returned, but I don't miss them.