Gaiters question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Z

Reaction score
OK - this may sound dumb, but I've never worn gaiters before.

A got a pair from Campmor for Christmas and want to wear them on a trip to Tabletop tommorrow. Question is - there is a shoelace running through two grommets on the opposite sides of the openning at the bottom. What do I do with these? The lace is no longer than 10" and is tied in a loop.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Keith

They go under your shoe in that crux created by the heel and rest of the sole.

tighten down to hold the gaitor in place over the tops of your shoes.

Mine have wires, some last longer than others befor needing to be replaced. If on a long (days/weeks) bring extra.

Gaiters

The lace goes under your boot sole where it arches. It helps keep the gaiters in place. The only problem i've found was that the lace ones die easily when they are worn on rocky trails. But since its the winter, it shouldn't be a problem.

peace
Oysterhead

Keith, the shoelace goes under your shoe in front of your heel to help hold the gaitors down. There is usually a small hook of some sort ,in the front, that will hook onto the laces in the front of your boot also. These devices keep the gaitors from sliding up when you are walking in deep stuff. The shoelace under the bottom will not last very long and you might want to replace it with a piece of wire sometime down the road. Have fun.

Thanks guys,

Thanks for the info and the advice to change to wires.

They do have the hook to attach to the laces.

Now, more snow than mud, or vice versa tommorrow?
Hmm, guess I'll be ready both ways.

With my gaiters the string that goes under my boot wore out after a few trips. I never replaced it and have had very few problems with the gaiters staying in place. As long as I hook the laces on the top of the boot they stay put.

I replaced the strings on my gaiters with thin shock cords. They fit on all my boots and I don't have to tie knots each time I use them, just stretch the cords to go over my toes and under my soles after zipping up the gaiters. A pair of shock cords lasts about one winter.