Galehead to Madison - route (and other) suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwynn9154

Reaction score
I'm doing hut-to-hut from Galehead Hut to Madison Hut next week.

What would you suggest regarding:

1) The walk up to Galehead Hut - anything other than the Gale River Trail?

2) Getting from Madison Hut back to my car at Pinkham Notch on the last day - take Valley Way and catch the shuttle or do one of the trails leading directly from Madison back to the Notch?

3) Boots (Asolo FSN95's) vs lower cut trail shoes (Garmont Eclipse)??

Thanks in advance for helping a White Mtn-challenged Georgian . . .

Jim Wynn

I would stick to the Gale River Trail...not sure what the current status of the water levels and destroyed bridges is. Your other options are a lot rougher. ie: Garfield Trail and Garfield Ridge Trail to Galehead...

If you are not too spent by the end of the trip hiking back to the notch could be fun. This is a long way and most of your options are pretty steep, particualrly the Madison Gulf Trail. the Osgood would probably be the best choice. I would keep the Valley Way to the shuttle option open as i am assuming you will have a heavy pack and have been out for a few days.

Footwear is a personal thing...I could never wear low cuts in the Whites...to many rocks!

Have fun, be careful, welcome to the Whites, and enjoy your trip!

sapblatt said:
If you are not too spent by the end of the trip hiking back to the notch could be fun. This is a long way and most of your options are pretty steep, particualrly the Madison Gulf Trail. the Osgood would probably be the best choice.
I'll second this suggestion. I did the Osgood to Madison gulf to the Old Jackson Road down to Pinkham (hopefully I have the trail names right). IIRC, it was basically a nice walk in the woods, especially the Old Jackson Road. It was a very easy, short day, but we had stayed at the Osgood tent platforms the night before, so we started our walk to Pinkham a little closer than you will.

Have fun on the hike, it sounds like a great trip.
Smitty

To get to Galehead Hut, if you have enough time, you could start at the Falling Waters Trail parking lot and follow the trail up Little Haystack, turn left and follow the Appalachian Trail to the hut.

To get to Pinkham from Madison Hut, if the weather is good, follow the AT (Osgood to Madison Gulf Cutoff to Madison Gulf trail to Old Jackson Road). If the weather is iffy, head down the Buttress Trail to Six Husbands to Great Gulf to Madison Gulf to Old Jackson Road.

I'd use low cut shoes with stiff soles, depends what you're used to hiking in.

To get to Galehead Hut, if you have enough time, you could start at the Falling Waters Trail parking lot and follow the trail up Little Haystack, turn left and follow the Appalachian Trail to the hut.

I've done this route, it's a long rough day, especially between Lafayette and Garfield. Then the section between Garfield and Galehead never seems to end. I've done the hut to hut you're doing also, I took Gale River trail, nice way to start your journey. Enjoy!

Here's a Picture of what a section of the Garfield Ridge trail looks like.

Last edited:
If you deside to do the Falling Waters route plan on an early start. myself and 2 friends did that route to galehead Hut 2 weeks ago and it was a long hike. We made good time to Lafayette but after that it all went down hill, and uphill and down hill and so on, it took us 10 hrs and 45 minutes, we were late for dinner but they saves some food for us.There was still alot of ice and snow 2 weekago but it should be gone by now, maybe. One thing that slowed us down, some of us were over packed considering we were staying in the Huts. :rolleyes: