Garden and HaBaSa loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amigo

Reaction score
How early is safe to get a parking spot on a Saturday morning at The Garden in Keene Valley, say last weekend in September? Around what time might it start getting full?

Planning on a Haystack-Basin-Saddleback day hike loop weather permitting and counting on anywhere from 10-12 hours. Sound about right?

Time is all subjective, You'd have to be in pretty good shape for that time. As far as getting a spot in the garden near foliage season on a Saturday, at any time? You'd need more luck than an early start. How's lunch time on Friday sound?

Really, the Garden parking will be that busy even with an early start? Better have a backup plan. Maybe Gothics from St Hubert. Still no issue entering the private Ausable Club road? It's been a few years since I started at that trailhead. I was really hoping to hike to Haystack as I've never hiked that peak (have hiked Basin and Saddleback once before).

The kids and I did a hike a couple of Augusts ago mid-week, maybe Thursday, and there was barely a spot open then. Through Columbus Day you'll find lots of weekend traffic. Most of us on the hiking boards don't think of hiking as having a season but after Columbus Day until winter starts may be the least crowded time to hike except for April when the snow is melting.

If you need those three for the list then you'll need them. If just looking for a long hike over a couple of peaks and you have many choices, I'd opt for someone else if that is your weekend to go. Generally, you can park at the Ausable Club with an early morning start since there should be few overnght cars from camping. Sawteeth, Pyramid & Gothics is great & the view from the lake is wonderful. UWJ, Armstrong & Gothics rugged and with views too. Foe the Garden, you get people staying at JBL and nearby in there on Thursday & Friday.

My experience with foliage hiking is that lower open summits are usually better than the highest peaks. High above treeline, the closest trees are fir, spruce & then birch. Green & then brillant yellow. Birch is nice but they are all the same color. The maples are the ones with reds, yellow & orange. They are amongst the lowest points. Moxham & Goodenow would offer great views from below 3,000 feet. The peaks around Lake George, would be nice also though they may be peak closer to Columbus Day. If looking for a tougher hike, the Tongue range should be fine with great lake views.

Closer to Keene Valley, Snow, Baxter, Hopkins, & Rooster Comb & Round.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Although I'd really love to hike up Haystack, I think we'll bypass it. I was hoping to camp at JBL, making the HaBaSa loop a tad shorter but my friend prefers doing a day hike. If we have to shuttle to/from Marcy field, it'll just be too long a day and we could easily miss the last shuttle. I'd rather take our time and enjoy the hike.

I think we'll either target the Gothics loop or perhaps the Algonquin loop. I'll do Haystack another time when camping at JBL is possible.

If you are planning to hike from the Loj be aware that the last few weekends Fridays and Saturdays the parking lot was full and closed by 8:30AM at the latest. It may happen even earlier from now till the end of October and on more weekdays. As about the Garden, it's mostly a matter of luck even in the middle of the week. The trailheads have been very busy since the beginning of August.

The Garden fills up VERY early (I bet you can hear snoring all night long) If the lot is full there's no need to change plans or take the shuttle. Just park down in Keene Valley (roughly a mile walk and 500 feet of elevation). I believe there's a public lot behind the grocery store. Drop everybody else and all gear at the trail-head then run down and park the car. Stick out your thumb on the way up and chances are you'll get a lift.

Gothics is an excellent choice btw and you can always do it from St. Huberts. And, if those lots are full parking is tolerated along rte 73.

It's been a few years since I've parked at the Garden, but has it gotten worse? I don't recall ever having had issues in the past. Same goes for the St Hubert parking. Good to know about being able to park on the 73. Thanks.

We're leaning towards doing Gothics.