Garden Parking and Shuttle

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the Shuttle from Marcy field starts running? Also, do you think the Garden will be full this Saturday? Silly question probably.

the shuttle does not run regularly - it only runs when the garden parking lot gets full - the last one is 5pm, so if the lot is full and you think you will be out later than 5 you should park at rostercomb parking area and start walking up, when the shuttle comes by flag him down (roostercomb is a heck of a lot closer than marcy field if you get back late and have to walk out).

Thanks

Ken, thanks for the info, I am trying to gather some info for a friend coming in from Syracuse. Do you know if the shuttle has started running yet at all this year?

i don't know - maybe someone else has been there - once they have someone in the booth collecting money that is when everything starts (but the shuttle only runs when the lot fills up).

I just love digging-but this is all I found.
The Garden: This is actually a very heavily-used parking lot in Keene Valley. It is primarily used by hikers accessing the Johns Brook Valley, but the trail to Big Slide via the Brothers also departs from this lot. It is referred to as the Garden because it was built in 1970 atop a former vegetable garden.http://www.adirondack-park.net/names/

maineguy said:
"what is the garden?"

It's like a parking lot without the parking spaces
Excellent description, guy. But despite its dust and mud and crowds, it's usually a beautiful sight - both at the end of a long drive to the 'daks and at the end of a long day (or longer) of hiking.

I had a bad experience last fall with the Garden and the shuttle.

I made the turnoff from the highway and was heading up to the Garden. I then noted a sign on my right that stated "Garden Parking Full." I figured, why drive all the way up there only to turn around and go back to Marcy Field for the shuttle? So I turned around and went to Marcy Field. I waited, and I waited, and I waited, but no shuttle ever came (I checked the notice on the bulletin board there, it was still running for the season.) Finally, totally frustrated, I drove to the Garden. There was the attendant, the shuttle, and one parking spot left. I had wasted 1.5 hours of daylight hiking time with my driving around and waiting.

The moral of this story: Always drive up to the Garden to check for yourself. And remember, if the lot ain't full, THERE IS NO SHUTTLE.

Charlie,

Though I've never needed it, I've been told the shuttle is used on a "as needed" basis. In other words, unless the lot is full, the shuttle WILL NOT run (i.e. see crazymamma's story). You'll never know that unless you visit the lot first as the signs are sometimes unreliable (i.e. see crazymamma's story).

With that said, I've never had trouble parking in the Garden lot before Memorial Day (or after Colombus Day for that matter). You shouldn't either, provided you get there before 8:30 - 9ish.

That's my experience anyway.