Garfield 1/28/14

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
Mt Garfield – Gale River Loop Road – Garfield trail – Garfield Ridge trail. Monday 1/28/14

Trail Conditions: Road was packed snow. Garfield trail very little snow on first lower section, lots of roots and rocks exposed. Above 2500 ft trail is packed with increasing depth of light powder with a few knee deep drifts near the top before the ridge. The ridge up to the summit is 6-12" light powder over hard ice. I managed with snow shoes by herring boning up, but butt slid down. Coming back down I found my tracks already blown back in with light powder. Trails are snow blown in with little signs of tracks but still easy to follow.

Special Equipment: Light traction up to 2800 feet then snowshoes. Crampons may have been useful on the short scramble below the summit. Face mask a must today

Comments: High winds, trees threatening to fall on me, no views on top today. Still a good hike, probably the most winter like hike of my 19 winter peaks so far.

Last edited: