Gates of the Arctic/Brooks Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dug

Reaction score
Seems like a trip idea that was being kicked around is gaining some steam. A group of us (4-7 people right now) are looking into a trip to the Gates of the Arctic NP in Alaska next September.

We are in information-gathering stage, and since this park is about three times the size of Connecticut, there are lots of possibilities. Access is only through bush planes, so I'm sure much of the park is tough to get to.

Currently, it looks like we have narrowed down a few spots to at least start looking and to get bush plane pricing. They are:

-Circle Lake
-Summit Lake
-Headwater of the Alatna River

There are many variations of trips around these areas, and some can be coupled with a few days of float trips as well.

Anybody have any info on the area...good links...stories...etc.? I've been exhausting as many Internet links that I can find, but would love some information from a more trusted source if any of you fine folks have some first or second hand knowledge.

Much appreciated!

Eee-yikes, no way i would sleep outside there! If you do go, take some deisel fuel. apparently that's the only thing that will keep the bears out of your tent and off you. Guns are generally useless against them... :eek:

Damn. I was going to wear my snazzy new bug repellent that smells like A-1.

Anyone have any first hand experience as supposed to what they've heard?

Muchas Gracias, mi amigos!!

Thanks for the link. I haven't come across this one yet.

If you're looking at some flatwater/mild whitewater kayaking, check out the middle fork of the Koyuykyuk river. When I was looking at some kayak trips there, I was leaning towards this stretch... I've found some info using Google on it too so you can surely check that out. I wound up going to Wrangell St Elias instead so I haven't yet been up there other than I've been to Fairbanks before...

Jay

Bump

Our trip is a go, planned for the middle of August. A group of 8 of us are confirmed. All well-seasoned in backcountry travel, cutting our teeth either in the ADK or the Whites.

Our itinerary will have us dropped off at Circle Lake in the Arrigetch Peaks region, and picked up a week later at Takahula Lake along the Alatna River.

Any first hand experience? Places to see? Places to avoid?

Thanks.

Duglas S. Sage

Have fun and be safe! Take a fly and/or spin rod, you'll eat better. Be prepared for cold and rainy weather. Do NOT run while a bear is watching you. Take lotsa pics and share em when ya get back.

Absolutely outstanding. I've been toying with putting up a trip report, just haven't had the time. Maybe I'll bang it out this weekend.

Some quick notes, though:
-Shoot for end of August, as we encountered almost no mosquitoes.
-We had virtually no rain (just a sprinkle the last day while waiting for our plane to pick us up).
-Virtually no wildlife. We prepared for bears and assume our precautions worked. We watched some dall sheep across a valley for a while, but that was it. Lots of blueberries and occasional moose and bear signs, but didn't see any.
-Logistics getting to and from were a challenge, and our 'leader' did a phenomonal job.

I should also mention that other than the float plane operators, and the couple who live at the lake where we were picked up, the only signs of man we saw for six days were a couple of very old strap buckles that we found in the stream about 100 yards apart.

All in all, a trip of a lifetime and couldn't have gone more smooth. PM me and I can provide some additional details pending a full report.

Last edited:
Sweeet!

That's awesome. Yes, put together a TR for us. I've been all over and something about the Brooks Range makes it my favorite. I'm surprised you saw such little wildlife. Caribou are hit or miss depending on migration but I've never been to a place so heavy in predators. It is a very hungry land. Further south you may see 1% carnivore tracks versus herbivors but my recollection in the Brooks is that they ran about 50/50. My last time there I saw wolves, Wolverine and Griz all in a few days.

Did you happen to visit the town of Wiseman? Population is under 20 people but it is a magical little place made famous in Arctic Village by Robert Marshall (a John Muir character). He described it as the happiest place on earth and I tend to agree with him. It is just off the Haul Road.

Congrats on what I am certain was a trip-of-a-lifetime.
Jeff

We took a plane from Bettles, so we never made it over to the Haul Rd. side. We all read Marshall's book on the area. It was pretty much our bible.

On our last two days, we hiked along the Alatna River. There, we saw the most prints. Moose, Caribou, King Porcupine, Black and Grizzly, HUGE Wolf prints, Coyote.

Where we camped for a couple of nights there were Grizz tracks, so we knew they are in the area. However, 8 guys marching through the woods yelling periodically I think did it's job and scared anything off.

Not a lot of signs of Caribou, which we were hoping to see. I guess they are a bit more north than where we were.