Geotagging Photographs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Geotagging Photographs

The recent thread “video/camcorders” got me looking at the Linux line of cameras. Browsing their line I was intrigued with their new DMC-TS3 camera. It appears to have some pretty impressive stats for a point & shoot. One of the features that intrigued me was it's apparent ability to record longitude/latitude, altitude, barometric pressure & compass bearing as exif data.

Although the ability to record this information has a high cool factor, is there any real world applications that this data would be useful for? Is anyone doing any creative things with this?

You might check out Wikiloc. I upload GPS tracks to that site frequently, but photos only occasionally. My Lumix doesn't record GPS info, but I believe the current model does. If sites like Wikiloc could read that info based upon info attached to the photo, it would certainly help cut down on the number of pictures that incorrectly identify mountains.

Displaying geotagged photos with tracks might interest you.

A GPSr is usually on for the entire trip, so once it has grabbed the satellites it does not let go. A camera, on the other hand, is off most of the time, so a GPS chip in it will have to acquire satellites each time it is turned on (unless there is a mode which can keep the chip on while the camera is off).

Good point Mo

If that was the case and I had to wait each time for the camera to acquire satellites it wouldn't work for me. If I'm peakbagging my pictures are taken on the go. I could always carry my GPS and record a waypoint every time I take a picture.

Perhaps Google will continue to improve location based photo sharing applications as Geotagging on smartphones and cameras become more commonplace.

I could always carry my GPS and record a waypoint every time I take a picture.
With a program like GPicSync you do not need to record a waypoint if you are recording a track. It works magically, all you need to input is your camera clock's offset from GMT.

I am sure that there are many other similar programs; GPicSync was the first I tried, and since it worked for me I did not try any others.

Mo, you're way ahead of the curve. If only you could profit on the idea. :cool:

For hikers with a GPS is app is the ticket.

What I'd like to see is a goggle map pop-up window on a picture mouseover. This of course would work in all social media sites, including embedded pics on VFFT. :)

With a program like GPicSync you do not need to record a waypoint if you are recording a track. It works magically, all you need to input is your camera clock's offset from GMT.

I am sure that there are many other similar programs; GPicSync was the first I tried, and since it worked for me I did not try any others.
No magic: it just uses the timestamp on the pic to find the closest point in the track. (Trackpoints record lat, lon, elev, and time.)

Make sure the clock in the camera is set accurately...

Doug

No magic: it just uses the timestamp on the pic to find the closest point in the track. (Trackpoints record lat, lon, elev, and time.)
Doug,

I sincerely hope that you are smart enough to realize that I am intelligent enough to figure that out for myself. I also, should you have failed to figure that out, know what a trackpoint is.