Getting to be the season for traction aids

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a hard frost up at my house last night. I went to walk out on my porch and it had glaze ice on it. Temps up on the summits are starting to drop and that means it is time to throw the microspikes in the pack after I inspect them for needed repairs.

I pulled out a few pieces of 3 season gear and threw them on my table in the gear room. Spikes, gloves, fleece tights. I don't think they will be needed this week as the temps are going up, but I'm living on the 52wav peaks, not the Presidential range so it's all relative.

I have never been a superlight hiker so, I just throw them in the pack and regard the extra weight as prep for heavier loads this winter.

I was surprised that I did not need to do any repairs this year, usually I need to replace a link or two, that I recycle off an old pair. Once the rubber starts tearing, I usually write them off for backcountry work and use them locally.

I did have an unusual use for a broken one, I rigged it to fit on the "knee crutch" I had to use with my broken ankle. It made snow blowing the driveway possible.

I had a hard frost up at my house last night. I went to walk out on my porch and it had glaze ice on it. Temps up on the summits are starting to drop and that means it is time to throw the microspikes in the pack after I inspect them for needed repairs.
Good advice. Even though we are having a warmup for a few days with melting temps the refreeze of the drool after looks to be sustaining. Some here in the North Country refer to this as one of the shoulder seasons....aka "The Canadian Darwin Affect".

The "stink bugs" are starting to gather on my house and try to get into the nooks and crannies on my siding. This will be the last of the warm weather....

I am holding out for a warm stretch to coincide with the Lexington Mass event on the 6th. Seems like a lot of years we end up with a warm stretch that day and night.