Giant - Eagle Slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Follow up

Ok, we survived. Our plan was to hit the Eagle slide on giant. I think we missed it, but had an enjoyable time climbing anyway. Our plan was to hit the shelter in the valley between Giant and Green, which we did. From there, we continued Magnetic South until we could see a slide. I believe the slide we emerged on is in the background of this picture:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountains...5&type=mountain&mountain_id=435&route_id=1805

So this is NOT the eagle slide, by my estimates. It is however, a very long, and enjoyable slide, and I would do it again. Bushwhacking to the base proved challenging due to blowdown, but non-the-less fun. I have learned that it is best to skirt the blowdown. What is great about this whack is that you can see the slide for about 1/2 of it, so it is easy to find your way there.

Once on the slide, we donned our rock shoes, which was probably a mistake. 50 yards up the slide there was a trap of trees, which caused us to switch back to boots. It's not too steep below the tree trap, so, hiking boots would suffice. Further up the slide however, rock shoes are advisable. After a long climb with magnificent views, we reached the top. From there it was a fight through a wall of pine trees, skirting blowdown where possible to get to the summit trail. This slide puts you about 1/10th of a mile from the summit of Giant.

From there, we continued on towards RPR, after a wet lunch. We ate in a cloud, glad to be off the slide before anything more then a drizzle came. Rocky Peak Ridge is spectacular. As we descended from the (2nd) summit, we could view Mary Loiuse Pond, behind that Bald Peak, and finally a rainbow. It was interesting to look down on a rainbow. To bad we forgot our cameras. RPR->MLP is awesome. Wild flowers, endless Alpine Zone, and interesting cairnes. I think RPR is my favorite high peak, out of the 22 I have completed. The views are also great, but would have been even better if the weather had been nice. I look forward to visiting again.

After leaving the alpine zone, and making it over the blueberried path over Bald hill, the trail was difficult. We were tired from our slide climb, and there was no water to be seen, after that alpine pond. We were thirsty. On the last 100 yards or so we passed a group of fresh hikers heading in, inquiring jokingly "are we there yet?" No. But I hope they made it there, and enjoyed the journey along the way.

RPR is definately a trail that expresses the idea that the journey is often better then the destination.

-percious

beverly said:
You headed south from the valley between Giant and Green? It sounds like you were on the other side of Giant.:confused:

My thoughts as well... the link to the photo is definitely the Eagle Slide area, but P's description sounds way off. There are some slides on the north cirque...

The red marker indicates the slide which we climbed.
Again, NOT the eagle slide.

giant-slide.gif

Anyone know the name? Its a beautiful slide, but I wouldnt try it unless it was dry.

-percious

Last edited:
Looks like you were definitely on the NE side of Giant - don't know if this has a name - I doubt it.
You were a long way from Eagle, which is on the western face of Giant, partially shown at the bottom of your map!
:D

Well shucks, I guess I'll just have to go back to Giant again, in order to really climb Eagle. Next time I will know to bushwhack off the valley trail directly to eagle, and skip the shelter. The eagle slide looked pretty steep from afar, in comparison to what we climbed. I think we did more mileage the way we went, and the whack to the top was longer. My buddy is 46er trailessing, so maybe I can convince him to go up Eagle with me. I definately wouldn't mind re-visiting RPR.

-percious

Hi percious,

When do you plan on doing the Eagle slide climb. I've done it 3 times and I am always interested to going it again. Never get enough of a good thing.

Ed

I think we should call it Percious.

I checked it out when I climbed Green last year. Very impressive from that point of view.

Second Feather?

If I do the Eagle Slide it sounds like it would be good if I knew what the 2nd feather was. Can someone describe it?

peak_bgr: I wouldnt be apposed to having a slide named after me :D . My son is already named after a mountain... I'd rather call it the Perkins slide, but I don't think I was the first to climb it. It is a beautiful and long slide. How is green? A total bushwhack? Looking from the slide, there was a distinct separation between forests east and west. My guess is that it had been logged at one time.

ADK4487: I dont plan on climbing it any time this year. I get about 6 trips a year (agreement with wife), so I have to be choosy. I am trying to finish out my 46, I have 22 so far. Actually, im 22/46 3/5 4/48 0/12. You can see where my loyalties lie. I will keep you posted for the future Eagle trip. My buddy is bushwhacking his 46 (think i already mentioned) So I am sure that I would get a chance to do it in the next year or 2.

-percious

Green is a bushwhack, and totally different woods from ne side to the next. Really amazing the change in density of the trees.

The second feather is the second distinct slide on the eagle from the right. At least, that's what I was told it was refered to; and that is the one we were on. The base of the slide from the outlet that feeds it leads to the second feather. I remember it being very sandy and loose at the base before it turned to open slab.