Gila National Forest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
Hello.

I just booked a trip for 9 days in Gila National Forest in New Mexico.
I am planning on a few nights of car camping and 3-4 nights of backpacking.
I am in decent shape. Have lots of gear.
I am flying into Albuquerque on the 29th of March.

I would love some ideas, preferably loops.

Any other information/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gila NF is a fascinating place. The 40+ mile ride in from Silver City made me ponder the route of ancient cliff dwellers who must have been motivated by the wild game in the Gila River valley, which were certainly plentiful when we visited, especially mule deer. Did not hike there, focused on Guadalupe and Big Bend in Texas instead, but can recommend a short loop to the cliff dwellings. There are other cliff dwellings scattered about but try to resist the temptation to camp in one; they have a couple campgrounds nearby.

You might look into Manzano Mountains State Park which is an hour south of Albuquerque. They close for the winter but should be open by the time you get there.

The Continental Divide and trail pass near the Gila NF and a section of that is worth looking into.

Sorry I can't give you better advice but do enjoy it. You might find winter like conditions at higher elevations and even though the desert down below may get warm during the day, the nights get pretty cold. We'll be there in a couple weeks but focused in the Northeast (Sugarite Canyon and the pueblos enroute Taos and Santa Fe) and Las Cruces before heading to Arizona.

Thanks Stan!

I appreciate the info. I didn't expect much since Gila isn't visited all that much (part of the reason I am going). I will have all the gear for cold nights, but I think I will be staying low enough to be close to water. I plan on flying in, hangin that night at a hotel, driving to the forest the next day and car camping for a few just to get my mojo in order. I will then do a 2-3 nighter, but most likely keep it easy enough so that I can wander and relax. Then, after I get back, a few more nights of car camping and maybe checking out the full moon at White Sands.

Can't wait. I will also consider some other locations to mix it up, like some you suggested.

You enjoy your trip!