Glacier glasses for people with prescription glasses

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doug - UV blocking seems to be a standard feature of all sunglasses now sold, even the cheap ones, according to consumer organizations.
Sounds good. That wasn't the case when I last looked for high altitude eye protection.

Do you know if there are standards about how much UV has to be blocked? (One needs more blocking at altitude.)

Doug

I have 2 pairs of glasses, my normal glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. The sunglasses wrap around the sides so the perform the task of glacier glasses. I have worn them an many snow climbs. I use them for running, driving, anything outdoors in sunny weather. Go to your optometrist or optical center and they should have many for you to try on. Do not get them on the web, you need to try them on make sure they are comfortable and fit your head. I use mine for all kinds of outdoor athletic activities.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is polarized lenses. They are available in a variety of colors and darknesses. If anyone tells you otherwise, just go to another optical retailer. Also, any place that has an account with North American Coating Labs can give you anti-reflective coating on the back, if you so desire, and any color or style mirror coating. Although probably more expensive, I would recommend against ordering on line. For such an important purchase, you'll want to "try before you buy" so you can make sure the frame will be comfortable and you can look at lens samples for your options. Depending on the strength of your correction and your sensitivity to any inaccuracy, you will want to the person who dispenses your order to inspect it first.

(An optician who let her MA license expire)

PS
No one has used this character yet-:cool:

Last edited:
I would agree with the comments that fitting sunglasses is best done in person if getting a prescription lens. I've had good luck with online merchants in terms of fit for non-prescription lenses, in particular for Cocoons. If you choose them, do print out their guide. If you're near a Cabelas, a Bass Pro Shop or Campmor, I believe they carry some of their line as well.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to help me out with this! Based on this post I can see that VFTT is an extremely supportive hiking community!

I went with a pair of Wiley X Air rages http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pr...E_CONTROL&ProductLine=746,AIRRAG&ItemCode=697

They will give me the protection I need on the glacier and they have removable side shields so I can use them as everyday sunglasses. I was also able to try them on in person which is always a plus!