Gliders on Franconia Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Every once in a while you see something that stops you in your tracks. Such was the case on Mt Lincoln last weekend. A man was standing with his hiking partner near the summit cairn, talking quietly. He appeared to be in his early 30's. He had those metal crutches that have the extra supports for the forearms. He was wearing shorts. He had only one leg. A logical guess would be that he is an Iraq/Afghanistan war veteran. He had a mid-thigh amputation of his left leg. I am never ever star struck when it comes to meeting celebrities, whether they are politicians, or movie/tv stars, or professional athletes, etc. It takes a lot to impress me, and those people rarely, if ever, do. But it took no effort at all to feel inferior to this man. I didn't make eye contact or speak with him...just simple silent admiration. p.s. His being a war veteran is just an assumption on my part. But just getting to the summit of Mt Lincoln...amazing physical (and mental) toughness.

Now, on an infinitely less important matter, just in case you've never been buzzed by the gliders on Franconia Ridge, here's a short movie from some video I shot...although buzzing isn't the right word since they have no engine...it's more like a slow cutting/ripping noise.

I saw him as well as I was heading down Falling Waters (I assume it was the same guy if it was on August 18.) He commented on me carrying my daughter on my back, said he was impressed. I told him it wasn't as impressive as him.

When all is quiet and one of those gliders goes past and you hear nothing but the cutting of the wind (that wasn't the case on that weekend)...........We were watching the glider from Lafayette and many times it looked like it was going to crash into the side of Lincoln. Thanks for the video. We got a few pictures of it going past.

I saw the same gentleman on the North side of Lafayette earlier that day (like Greg this was 8-18). I believe he and his group had spent the night at Garfield Pond if memory serves correctly (the shelter site was full). Was great to see. And lots of glider-buzzing that day for sure!

Billy, we probably crossed paths somewhere on the ridge that morning, we left Little Haystack for points South around noon.