Good hike for sunday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator

Reaction score
Everyone who loves this weather pattern, raise your hand.
*looks around*

Criteria:

-trails that don't drain poorly
-something that won't have river crossings that would be too difficult or dangerous during high water, which is predicted for this weekend
-not too slippery
-something where the trail itself is intereresting (views don't matter)
-a strenuous 7 or 8 miles would be ideal

Personally, I'm enjoying the weather. The wet, cloudy & cold fall weather reminds me of the Fall of '98 and '99 while I was living in Bangor, ME. At first when the clouds and rain were rolling in last weekend, I was apprehensive -- but I had a blast. I'd actually rather it be cloudy and rainy this weekend too!

Anyway, Frodo and I did the Willey Range starting at the Ripley Falls TH. No significant stream crossings... the trail is wet in places but you shouldn't have a problem. I don't know the mileage but Willey, Field and Tom should be in about your range.

-Dr. Wu

Pierce
Ike
Madison
Jewell from Cog

Dicey's Mill drained well on Saturday but one stream crossing could be tough, with Teva's & a towel would be easier.

How about Caps Ridge trail to Jefferson? I'm thinking to do it this sunday.

How is Jefferson Notch Road after big rains??? :confused:

Thanks. ;)

As long as all the culverts held and there were no washouts, the road should be fine.

I would expect plenty of washboarding, though. Make sure your fillings are secure.
:)

Mike P. said:
Pierce

Jewell from Cog

I heard the bridge on Jewell starting across from Ammo parking lot was repaired now. Otherwise Mike is right, start at the Cog parking lot.

Moosilauke up Gorge Brook (bridges over the brooks) and Snapper down makes for a good wet weather loop.

MichaelJ said:
As long as all the culverts held and there were no washouts, the road should be fine.

I would expect plenty of washboarding, though. Make sure your fillings are secure.
:)

MachaelJ, so you think it will be a safe hike? :D

I want to do this because I can't do this trail in winter. :eek:

I live in Whitefield and we haven't had much rain at all here this week. Yesterday was beautiful. The rivers don't seem too bad. Today anyway. The weekend is along ways off.

Hope this helps

If you want a real wet hike, check out Ethan Pond to Shoal Pond. The trails go through many bogs, and if you explore down the Shoal Pond trail, you will encounter more bogs and perhaps moose. Hancock Notch is another potential, but it is tough to follow up at the height of land, and the crossings in high water are sketchy to say the least! But it was a blast!!

grouseking