Good Walkie Talkies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Icom makes great radios. They make mostly military and boat radios, but they are trying to get into the hiking/skiing word with the IC-4088. I used to do some freelance work for them at their US headquarters in Bellevue, WA. They gave me two of these radios when I left as a gift. I've used them skiing and hiking and they work well. They have longer antennas as the others on the market, but that just helps with the reception. I believe they have a two mile range, of course that depends on what obstacles are between you and the other radio. Try icomamerica.com for more info and a dealer near you.

Josh

I wound up buying the Motorola TalkAbout T5950. After discussing this with a few stores and people who actually sounded like they knew what they were talking about and 2 people who have used it, this was my choice. I was told don't expect five miles like advertised but could reasonably expect 2 to 2.5 in the best of conditions.

One guy who uses them for hikes with Boy Scout Troops had no problems in the woods for approximately 1/2 mile or more. They were a $100 and I don't need mileage, I need power in the woods and a 1/2 mile is sufficient for my purposes.