Google My Maps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakn

Reaction score
I was just browsing around Google and noticed the "my maps" feature. I know nothing about GPS tracks, but was wondering- VFTT'rs collectively have a massive amount of GPS info. Could there be a way for GPS tracks to be uploaded to a "my maps" site that we all could access?
It seems interesting to consider if the variety of hikes we all do could be indexed and pulled up easily for trip planning.
I'd be interested to hear what those who are skilled in this area think.

Harry

What a fantastic idea! The problem is I do not have a GPS but I am sure I could print out the map anyways for my use. It stinks that because I don't have one I cannot contribute to the list...

Anyone with a website could host individual .gpx tracks (or other formats).

If you pay $20 per year for the premium Google Earth version, you could download any of those tracks from that website into your own copy of GE and see them.

It's certainly possible to create a Google Earth "layer", for anyone willing to host the files on a web server. Then, just by setting it up, it could be a compendium of various .KMZ's provided by people, each of which can include tracks, waypoints, links to photos from the hike, etc.

I've toyed with the idea, though the only thing I currently have implemented is the auto-generation of Google Earth models for photos in my Gallery, overlaid with my GPS tracks. An example .KML file is here.

The free version of Google Earth can load .GPX files directly, along with .KML and .KMZ. You can also use the free software GPS Babel to convert between .GPX and .KM[LZ].

Maps on my website

Try going to my website at www.catskillhiker.com. Once there use the PLACES tab (button) and try the CATSKILL PEAKS choice. Each Google Map was produced using a GPS track (or more than one). This is true of all the trails under TRAILS also.

I have been experimenting with the Google Mpas API in several different ways so you may want to check out the GOOGLE MAPS tab (button) on the main menu. The Experimental Map is the best example of using the Google API but it is still being modified.

I would appreciate your feedback.

I have a server plan that allows up to 8 sites and has "unlimited" storage and bandwidth. I haven't yet gotten close to "unlimited" so I don't know what that means! The point is I can host A LOT of information as long as it is not too much work for me.

Let me know what you think.

RHB