Goose Eye and Carlo 10/21

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A_Hike_2_Far

Reaction score
Went up Goose Eye Trail . The steep rock scramble near the top is now second option to the path bypassing it which was a good thing because there was a little snow and ice lingering and I didn't want to fall and not get up as I was solo.:eek:. Great VFTT except Presidentials were clouded in. My winter gear stayed in the pack as it was cool 45-50 degees and windy but just right for shirt and windbreaker. Went over to the east peak and back on Mahoosuc Trail to Carlo. I didn't see another soul until near Carlo Col where an AMC trail crew was replacing puncheons. Many of them are rotted so badly that the spikes stick up above the rotted tops an inch or two. The Carlo Col Trail passed through a long recently logged section which was ugly and covered with slash. It reminded me of the pictures in books I've seen of the devastation of the Whites in the late 1800's and early 1900's. I could probably have run my woodstove for many years with the small diameter waste left behind.
A grouse suddenly took off about a foot away from me and I nearly jumped out of my socks. Be still my heart! Those wings make a heck of a lot of noise when you don't expect it.

1.jpg

2.jpg