Goose Eye Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guildhall

Reaction score
Hi, I plan on climbing Goose Eye this weekend. I've always seen it on maps but know little about it.
Does it have a distinct treeline with decent views, also is the trail fairly easy to follow. It seems to be a more remote mountain...

I saw in a post that the Maine side is closed. If I enter from Berlin can I get as far as the trailhead for Goose Eye in a sedan?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi, I plan on climbing Goose Eye this weekend. I've always seen it on maps but know little about it.
Does it have a distinct treeline with decent views, also is the trail fairly easy to follow. It seems to be a more remote mountain...
You might find the link below useful. It's a report of a trek to Goose Eye by renowned hiker Steve Smith. It was done in early August of 2011, prior to Hurricane Irene.

http://mountainwandering.blogspot.com/2011/08/carlo-goose-eye-loop-8311-classic-loop.html

You will have no trouble getting to the Goose Eye trailhead on Success Pond Rd from Berlin.

Success Pond Rd Status

There is (was, a week after Irene) a washout at the Speck Pond Trail trailhead further northeast.

The road is usually very washboarded (mostly near the begining). Pickup trucks and large vehicles usually can go at a good clip but a small car will have to go slow in these sections. Watch out for ATV'ers flying down the road at high speed. Plan on no more than 20 miles per hour as there are large rocks on occasion sticking up out of the road surface.

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies.

Looks like I'm off to the mountain then!