Gore-tex vs. all the rest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
How do the other, cheaper breathable fabrics hold up (ie Mountain Hardware's "Conduit", Marmot's "MemBrain") compared to Gore-tex? Doesn't the whole concept of breathable fabrics consist of microscopic holes that jut out on one side, allowing moisture to escape but not enter, and if so, is it really that hard to manufacture?

I've had a North Face jacket made with Gore-tex XCR for a few years now, and love it. It breathes very well, but I also don't have much basis for comparison. I'm curious to hear others thoughts for future purchases.

EMS System III

I have a jacket made by EMS and it has a W/B coating. It always seems to be wet on the inside (it may be that I just transpire too much) and it sounds much like wax paper when cold and /or in the wind. I suspect Gore-tex of any kind, especially the XCR version would be more breathable. It is also about double the price. I don't know about the other products but I suspect the laminated membranes are generally superior to the coatings in terms of breathability. If water and windproof-ness are your main criteria you can save the $.

I once did a side-by-side comparison of my North Face Gore-Tex shell and my EMS System III shell - literally. I put my right arm in the North Face jacket and my left arm in the System III jacket and clipped them together in the back. (Luckily, the zippers were compatible.) I then went for a strenuous 90-minute hike in sub-freezing temperatures.

I was hoping that the System III jacket would stand up to the Gore-Tex, but the Gore-Tex really did breathe more. The System III jacket was wetter on the inside as was my fleece under it. I thought I could save some money on my next shell, but at least in my quick test, the Gore-Tex performed better. Obviously, it’s not an exhaustive, scientific study and your mileage may vary.

I can second that Gore-Tex XCR is the best of what breathable outerwear I have. I've tried more than a few things and would rate them in descending order, as follows (after XCR):
Precip (jacket) - breathes OK for the price and packs smaller than my gtx
REI Elements (jacket) - less noise from the shell, but needs DWR reapplied often and if it wets out, it's not breathable.
Conduit (pants) - I generally keep the vents open, but still feal damp often
HellyTech (jacket) - more breathable than polyethelyne. barely.

One caveat: my XCR shell also has the most vents and unless it's real windy, I always have them open.

Jim

Goretex's patent ran out a year or two ago so the competitors products should be getting pretty darn close to it.

Not sure if new XCR fabric has a different patent or not.

-Shayne

I have a gore tex XCR full suit & love it!

spaddock said:
Goretex's patent ran out a year or two ago so the competitors products should be getting pretty darn close to it.

Not sure if new XCR fabric has a different patent or not.

-Shayne

Yes of course it does... that's why they came out with it. They knew their patent was running out and have been working for years on a way to improve it by making it more breathable. They knew they had to do something to differentiate themselves from the competition that would be coming once their patent ran out... gotta stay ahead of the pack ya know :)

Capt. Jim

Gore-Tex keeps developping, but they also insist on the most advanced techniques from their clothing manufacturers. Thus, not only is the fabric top-notch, but the clothes themselves are the best. This gives them a pretty strong hold on the market.

On another thread we discussed Campmor bibs. G-Tex bibs will have things like w'proof zips, both side and crutch, et c. If you're willing, don't need, or are really stuck for money, alternatives can make sense. I use the Campmor bibs and am happy with them, for example; BUT, I wear them with my XCR parka and OR, G-Tex Big Crocs.

Also, my Sierra Designs, G-Tex, XCR parka is a very good value compared to the really high end garments.

Doug

IIRC, there are still patents on the G-T manufacturing process, but any patents on G-T itself ran out a long time ago. Other manufacturers have equivilant materials to work with, but G-T has been at this a long time and they have a good system of manufacturing, labeling, and product development.

A good manufacturer will make good gear. Anything by Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Arc'tyrk (?), EMS, REI, TNF, Ragged, etc will be a good piece of gear. Materials are important, but not as important as a quality maker who designs, builds, and tests a garment.

I've got G-T, Conduit, and one or two others, and they all work pretty much the same. I'd like to try a G-T XCR jacket, but I've got too many to worry about buying a new jacket at this point.

-dave-

First, I have to say the only gore-tex products I own are some overmitts and gaiters. I have never had a problem with either. Jacket and pants - I have used Lowe Alpine's Triple Point Ceramic and Marmot's Precip. I will have to say that I like the Precip the best. I think the price is affordable and I stay dry. The Triple Point Ceramic worked great as well, but I think it feels heavier and may not be as breathable as the Precip.

while both system III and gore tex are waterproof, the goretex will breathe better. all the water proof/breathable shells from decent companies will stop the water from getting in, but gore tex xcr will breathe the best hands down no doubt!

I have the gore-text xcr and its great, I can see the differecne between my new jacket and my old north face regular goretex one. Its lighter, more breathable, etc.. I also have a mountain hardware down coat (just got it this year) that has the condiut sl. I also have some conduit sl pants. All of the above work great. I think it depends on what your doing. For mountaineering, (pressies, etc...) - I like the gore-tex shell for the wind protection on longer routes above treeline- though the conduit is up there as well. I have some precip pants and 9 times out of 10 they are fine. But sometimes, in very low temps and very high winds, my legs get cold.

I have heard for below treeline hiking, ice climbing, etc.. - soft shells are the way to go.

Re: Goretex XCR

Much as I hate to say it, folks opinions on the XCR may just get me to give it a try. I have found traditional G-tex to be totally un-usable for winter use for me - I end up getting soaked from the inside out. Maybe they finally got it right...

I wore Gore-Tex for several seasons - great stuff!! My pants were TNF Hyvent and I noticed no difference between that and my Gore-Tex jacket.

I now have a Shoeller Dryskin jacket and pants and they are far superior to Gore-Tex. Lighter, tighter fit, more breathable, waterproof.

KZ

Gore-Tex XCR, hands down! Super water proof, yet breathable.

Gore-Tex over Precip all the way

I have aan REI waterproof/breathable parka made with their "Precip" material (their waterproof/breathable version of gore-tex), and an EMS Gore-Tex XCR shell suit... the Gore-Tex is much more breathable. The inside of my REI jacket gets soaked with sweat when I work hard. The Gore-Tex XCR shell seems to keep me much drier.

Just my 2 cents!

Capt. Jim