GPS comp interface problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Hi all, I run Nat. GEO TOPO map software on win xp. I Have a Garmin Geko 201 gps. My new computer does not have a serial port so I bought a Startech serial to USB conversion cable for mt gps. The computer says my hardware is working properly but my map software program tells me there is no cable connection. I have updated the cable drivers from Startech, still no connection success. Perhaps the cable converter does not work with garmin although the manufacturer claims otherwise. From what I can tell it sure seems to be a connection problem, I've checked my settings, baud rate, GPS set to normal and port. Any suggestions on solutions or recommendations for cable conversions that work. Buddy

I bought a PCMCIA card with a serial port. I have had a lot of problems with USB to serial cables-- you just cant count on them, IMHO.

Thanks

Thanks for the feed back. I guess I'll try the Keyspan cable and if that does not work well for me I'll go with the PCMCIA card. I looked for, couldn't find a Garmin USB cable for my Geko 201. I guess the Geko can't support it unless there's an update I'm not aware of. I've been very satisfied with the Geko (aside from having to switch batteries if I'm keeping a whack track for more than 5hrs.) but pehaps it's time to update to something more compatible with the newer computers. Thanks again for the imput, I'll let you know how the Keyspan cable works for me. Buddy

I've had good luck with Tripplite adapters on laptops where adding a PCI serial card is not an option. And yes, Tripplite makes other stuff beyond surge protectors and battery backups.

And, while you might still want to upgrade your Geko - the connection problem may be more of a PC-based issue than a GPS issue. The drivers supplied with the USB/serial conversion kit have to make the necessary translations, and some do it better than others. Personally, I'd try other adapters from retailers who allow return items before I invested in another GPS, but that's just me.

Just to clarify ( or mess things up) a PCMCIA card is a card that you insert into the side of the labtop without opening it up.

PCI cards (at least the wireless cards I use) require opening the laptop with a screwdriver.

There is another thing called an EXPRESS Card which is the replacement for the PCMCIA cards. It uses PCI technology to move data around.

So if your laptop is really new, you may need an Serial (RS232) EXPRESS card.

But the point is you should not have to open the laptop to install a serial port.

Good luck

Add a serial port to a desk top?

Can I add a serial port to my desktop. Would it be similiar to adding or changing a graphics card. Buddy

Yah somewhere I misread that a laptop was involved, so you would need to open your computer and put a card in...probably a PCI card like Kevin said.

Remix said:
Yah somewhere I misread that a laptop was involved, so you would need to open your computer and put a card in...probably a PCI card like Kevin said.
Laptops generally take PCMCIA cards, not PCI cards.

Desktops generally take PCI cards--you would have to open the case to install one. One can obtain PCI serial cards.

If you have a spare USB port, it can also be used on a desktop with a converter.

Doug

Remix said:
The "problem" with lack of serial ports started with laptops as there are pressures to make the smallest possible box. So, serial ports disappeared, floppy drives, etc. The USB is a great interface, but if you have older devices (sometimes called "legacy" devices) it can be a problem finding a converter cable, with the appropriate software drivers to make it work.

If you have a new desktop which does not have a 9-pin serial port, and has the ability to add another card, such as a PCI, then in my experience, it's the cheapest/fastest/easiest way to attach a legacy 9-pin serial device. Check places like Staples, Best Buy, etc. I think they run about $25 or less. Yes, you can get them cheaper online, but you may run into hassles returning it if it's defective.

PCI cards are usually the easiest to install since between the hardware and software it automatically selects an available interrupt without human intervention.