GPS coordinates for Zealand Falls Hut/Summit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Does anyone have the GPS coordinates for the Zealand Falls Hut and Zealand Summit? I'm looking to hike these on Saturday and I'd like to plug them into my GPS.

Thanks!

- Bill

Perfect! Thanks nartreb! You wouldn't by chance have a waypoint for the Zeacliff lookout would you?

- Bill

BillK said:
Perfect! Thanks nartreb! You wouldn't by chance have a waypoint for the Zeacliff lookout would you?
It's at the intersection of the Zeacliff and Twinway trails.

-dave-

In UTM Zealand summit as recorded by me on a trip is: 19 T 298443 4894961

Zeacliff UTM is 19 T 300546 4895274

UGS 84 Datum

Your gps should convert to Minutes etc. if you'd like.

The track was a good one with good accuracy and no breaks in the track at all from trail head at Zealand road to Guyot and back.
Recorded with a Garmin 60CS

good luck

Last edited:
There's actually a trail up to Zealand Hut now ! I'm pretty sure it's been there for at least a few weeks - it looked well-travelled.

Good Luck - Hope you don't get lost ;)

How did you do that?

Nartreb,

Did you just generate those waypoints on the fly somehow? Please share your secret (or, alternatively, since everybody may already understand it, edumacate me).

Thanks,

How does one do that?

You should be able to get the coordinates for any waypoint from essentially any computerized topo mapping program (eg National Geographic TOPO!, Maptech Terrain Navigator, Garmin Mapsource Topo, etc). Most (including the above) can also transfer the waypoints to the GPS electronically.

If you don't have the appropriate mapping software, TopoZone (http://www.topozone.com/) allows you to do the same online (you will have to transfer the coordinates manually).

If worst comes to worst (Horrors!!!), you should be able to read the coordinates off a topo map. There are plastic map scales (eg http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...2&parent_category_rn=10574154&vcat=REI_SEARCH) which can make this easier. In any case, you should be able to transfer approximate coordinates between your map and your GPS in the field. (This can frequently done by inspection if you have a mapping GPS with the appropriate maps loaded.)

Whenever you transfer coordinates manually, make absolutely sure the datums are the same. (There are standards for which datum (WGS84) to use for electronic transfer, but some software/GPSes violate the standards. It may be worth checking your software-GPS combo to make sure it does this correctly.)

Doug

Last edited: